New Age shop won't sell magic wands to Harry Potter fans

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/15/witchcraft-shop-wont-sell-ma.html

2 Likes

Is that a fitbit on his wand hand? The only thing he’ll be conjuring is phantom steps…

13 Likes

Didn’t the in-book wand dealer have some fairly esoteric rules about matching suitable wands to suitable customers as well?

This guy is only improving his cred as a HP fan wand source.

34 Likes

Classic.

13 Likes

That explains a lot.

1 Like

Carter, who reportedly fashions the wands under supernatural control

Well that explains everything right there.

5 Likes

He should take the skeptics challenge and win $1 Million dollars!

Is that some sort of hybrid of Maui Waiu?

7 Likes

No. No, you can’t.

10 Likes

9 Likes

This is really no different than a shop that sells rosaries to devout Catholics not wanting to sell to non-Catholic kids cos playing as vampire hunters. I can totally understand why a proprietor would not want to sell items he sees as spiritual to people who are not. And I say that as a person who is very much not spiritual.

21 Likes

If he was REALLY up on his magick theory, he would admit that to be really effective, a magician has to make all of his or her own implements. A tree branch you snap off and paint or carve some symbols on yourself is better than the most artistic wand prepared by someone else.

21 Likes

No reason you can’t combine magic and technology :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It is fascinating to read interviews with such people. We have discussed on other forums the issue of seeing things from the perspective of others, and this is a hard one for me. From the interview, he believes that he sells magic wands to actual wizards and witches. It follows that he believes in magic spells. It also seems reasonable that he he believes that he has witnessed the casting of and the results of those spells.

Of course one possibility is that there is actually a bunch of people secretly turning each other into toads and riding brooms, and they pretend to be unable to produce evidence of such in order to keep the rest of us dumb and happy. I personally think that this is an unlikely possibility, but I try to keep an open mind.

4 Likes

It’s for the best.

A real wand in the hands of an amateur, like a Harry Potter fan, could cause some real imaginary damage!

21 Likes

I’m sure he has some wands that don’t turn out 100% the way he wants them to.

He should just sell the duds to Harry Potter fans.

14 Likes

[Waves cheap plastic wand at annoying shop owner] Causea Effectium!

New age shop won’t sell magic wands to harry Potter fans

"JK Rowling has obviously done her research but Harry Potter is for children. It has done nothing for business…. "

My job here is done.

18 Likes

All the historical wizards and magickians were failures. If any were successful, it follows that they respected the wizard’s pledge:
Know
Dare
Do
Keep silent!

3 Likes

Except Catholic shops don’t demand ID. You really can just walk in and buy priestly vestments. Fundamentalist stores are mostly the same, I think. It’s a perilous business, setting yourself up as the judge of other peoples’ spirituality.

6 Likes

Step 1: Scour this guy’s family tree for 10- or 11-year-olds.
Step 2: Train an owl to deliver mail
Step 3: Find a piece of parchment…

7 Likes

Well, then, let’s all dance the aura.

2 Likes