Private Internet Access VPN: 2-Yr Subscription - 24% Off

[Read the post]

Finally, you advertise a good VPN service weā€™ve actually heard of. Congratulations.

It only took you four tries met with universal sneering from us.

11 Likes

But only 24% discount, not the usual ā€˜99% OFF!!! ACT NOW!! BUYYUBYUBYUBYUB!!ā€™

24% is still a good deal. Even if PIA is something like $8 a month. I bought the two year subscription up front a while back. About a year ago. Soā€¦ Iā€™m not in the market, but if I were, Iā€™d go for it. I have zero complaints about PIA. It works as well as you can expect any VPN to work, it even speeds up some stuff (coughBittorrentcough) and lets me tunnel to servers closer to live streamers I follow directly. For instance when I watch streamers from Sydney, get less broadcast delay if I turn on the VPN and tunnel to the Sydney exit node, than just leave the VPN off and let Verizon route my traffic all the way there.

I subscribe to PIA. However I do wonder how much the security services can still work out, given that they can track all the data that goes in and out of a PIA node.

For instance, when I connect to a PIA node and make a request for embarassingpeccadillo.com, an observer could see my request going in, although they wouldnā€™t know where that request was headed. However, if they also recorded all the requests that left the node shortly after that they could be reasonably sure that my request was one of them.

If they kept doing this for every request I make, they can start looking for sites that are the intersection of all of these lists, which may eventually reduce down to a single site.

Hmm. Looks like the embarassingpeccadillo.com domain name is still availableā€¦

5 Likes

Why do they persist in trying to monetize the site?

We all click on the ads and buy the t-shirts, right?

Definitely Agree! P.I.A. is the best VPN service; been using them for the past two years, and these ARE the good guys. Also, they are known for NOT keeping customer logs. You wonā€™t go wrong with their service.

They can track but they specifically state that they do not keep any logs for just this reason. Of course if youā€™re talking about our illustrious National Security apparatus, you have to assume they can track just about anyone from anywhere and draw enough correlations to single you out if so desired.

And itā€™s a coveted Two Word domain! Jump on it!

1 Like

What the hell a real VPN with real a reputation?

Canā€™t tell if BoingBoingStore got a honestly good product, or if PIA is not as good as I thought.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the VPN is working. Itā€™s encrypted so no they canā€™t see your request going in, all they see is an encrypted stream of traffic going in. You are confusing a VPN with a proxy.

Dumb question, but isnā€™t this a US-based service? If so, arenā€™t all such VPNs subject to those Draconian snooping laws that undermine any VPN claims to offering high levels of privacy?

Yeahā€¦ I guess youā€™re right. There might be bursts of packets that correspond to website requests, but I guess modern computers have so many little bits of software that are constantly talking to remote computers, itā€™d be pretty hard to accurately detect. I guess having a download / video / audio stream in the background would also do a great job of hiding requests.

Any VPN service comes with an implicit level of trust. So far, PIA has been the most transparent about it and even addresses the concern on their website:

We are located in the US. Being in the US is optimal for VPN Privacy
services since the US is one of the few countries that does not have a
mandatory data retention policy. Countries in the EU are forced to log,
even though some claim they do not. ā€

They even have a dedicated in-house DMCA agent/lawyer:

ā€œWeā€™ve done our legal research and are comfortable with the jurisdiction
of the United States for the time being, and others that have been in
the news and might be concerned, we disagree with that interpretation
[to leave the US], and so I think weā€™re very comfortable operating in
the US given the circumstances,ā€ Arsenault added. ā€œIf it came down to
it, we do have a contingency plan, were the climate in the US to turn
against us and our interests.ā€

I too have an ongoing subscription, but do wonder if this is restricted to new customers only, or can we add onto our current sub at this price.

They should update this section, the European Court of Justice killed the EU data retention directive in 2014. The ruling makes it nearly impossible for the member states to establish national laws, as the court found that many necessities for data retention are incompatible with the EU legal framework.

The Court takes the view that, by requiring the retention of those data and by allowing the competent national authorities to access those data, the directive interferes in a particularly serious manner with the fundamental rights to respect for private life and to the protection of personal data.
(press release)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.