Prodigy vocalist Keith Flint dead at 49

Glad to have helped. Bye

3 Likes

Man, I woke up from after a great show with Lords of Acid only to hear that Keith Flint died. What a bummer. I love The Prodigy. Fat of the Land is one of the best albums of the 90s, period. Keith started as a dancer for the stage act and morphed into the sort of front man with some of the vocals for some of the songs, along with Maxim as the MC. I never got to see them live and now if I ever do it will be a bit hollow. He will be missed :frowning:

3 Likes

Suicide? I’ve not seen that mentioned anywhere else yet but… far too young anyway, i thought he was older so a real tragedy. Apparently he was quite the gent in person but used the music for rage and frustration, which is as it should be i suppose.

1 Like

It was on the band’s Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BulgJBZAw5L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

Oh, wow… that’s awful.

2 Likes

I always liked this Prodigy song:

4 Likes

Edit: Retracted

Damnit, saw the news around noon.

I grew up with Prodigy and Flint, they and others (Photek, Fluke, Chemical Bros, Orbital) got me into electronic music with MTV’s Amp album when I was in middle school.

I was a fan ever since, and I listen to their stuff pretty regularly actually. I can’t believe a guy with that much positivity could do that, he was still young. Even after all these years, they were still crushing it with good new stuff. Fury Road had The Day Is My Enemy.

I know everyone knows Firestarter (he hated playing that song live after a while, kind of like Lemmy of Motorhead hated playing Ace of Spades after a while), but some new stuff that will engage in the link.

Keith was another one of the good parts of electronic gone. Club in heaven brother, you will be missed.

3 Likes

I got my introduction to electronic music by looking up the Hackers soundtrack listing on Yahoo because I liked “VooDoo people”. It remains one of my favorite songs:

Like most hackers I got into it because like outside wasn’t very fun or kind. RIP friend.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Travel well Keith.

Like here?

4 Likes

Me too. I just snagged a mint used copy of The Prodigy Experience re-release with B-sides disc.

Another brit here. The prodigy has been a part of my lifes soundtrack since they started and i still listen to them now. R.I.P Keith, you’ve gone far far too soon mate.

Could you reword that? Not sure whether it’s more insulting to women, domestic violence survivors, or people who believe in God and Heaven, but it’s definitely not as positive a statement as you seem to think.

1 Like

It’s a reference to a 1997 Prodigy song called Smack My Bitch Up.

1 Like

no nonononono… this is so sad.

Saw these guys in Toronto back in the late 80’s (I think, I dunno, it was, like, 2 days after the Jays won the World Series - they even made a little tune sampling the “Ok! Blue Jays! Let’s! Play! Ball!” thing) and they were amazing.

This is the kind of stuff (Along with KLF and all Praga Khan’s iterations) that I tell my EDM-listening song is REAL techno music…

1 Like

Damn.

RIP.

1 Like

It couldn’t be any earlier than the early 90’s, the Wikipedia article on the World series suggests 92 or 93. They reinvented their sound around then, which sounds more like what you heard?

I still think Music For The Jilted Generation is better than Fat Of The Land, which is also great.

I’m not in favour of gatekeeping music, but surely they would know about the origins of techno just over the border?

3 Likes

Quoted for Truth. I actually got to meet Praga Khan last Sunday!

Being a huge Prodigy and Shadow fan, I can’t believe I haven’t heard this before like last month. Now I gotta actually find a copy.

1 Like