Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

There used to be a restaurant around here that had that on the menu. It just seemed like a dare. Unfortunately I never made it there before the place closed for good.

Another one I’ve been using lately (via the WaPo) is wrap the tofu block in a towel & microwave it for one minute.

I’m reminded:

Sounds (smells) like making wat.

6 Likes

I gotta learn to cook more Ethiopian cuisine.

4 Likes

Haven’t tried this yet, but I want to! I need to find some dark soy sauce…I think that’s the only thing I’m missing.

I used his recipe for seaweed salad a while back and it was a winner. He also has a recipe for a hot chili oil that I’m going to try. Seems like a good resource overall for plant based recipes.

9 Likes

Had it last time I was in China visiting family.
It is delicious.
Then again, some people have a hard time with durian.

I have a hard time with the odor–or fragrance–of limburger cheese, brie, camembert, and regular ol’ plain milk (from a cow or a goat).

I guess it’s all what you’re used to…

4 Likes

Use a good quality soy sauce. It does not have to be dark soy sauce. Just try to avoid using a peanut butter with sugar in it, though some folks prefer the sweet-salty balance. Fresh peanut butter is best. I have also used tahini in a pinch, and a blend of both.

I make “peanut noodle” (as we grew up calling it) all the time, using rice noodle (bún) and whatever fresh veg I have on hand, shredded or chopped into matchsticks. Some people make this with ramen.

It is a very forgiving dish. And very filling and cheap.

(my inner Chinese auntie voice is saying “aiya! mortar and pestle? too much work! use a blender!”)

9 Likes

We had this last night, it was good. Thanks for the link :smiling_face: Though my spouse made multiple substitutions.

Worked well. Maybe a bit too much peanut butter but good for a first attempt. He wants to make some Cantonese style chili sauce. Said something about how if he makes it, he can omit the star anise. I have issues with anise the way some people do cilantro

10 Likes

Glad to hear it!
I’m becoming a bit more, not exactly skeptical, but more open to altering his recipes even on the first go ‘round. Usually first time I make as written. I made his hot oil recipe this weekend and it’s okay, but I will definitely alter it next time.

6 Likes

Apparently, someone over at Ars is watching us… (Cue creepy music)

Sadly,

This cheese will not be hitting supermarket shelves any time soon; much like actual cheese, the science needs some time to ripen. Maybe plant-based cheese will someday become so indistinguishable from dairy that we might not even notice the change.

But perhaps soon-ish? It does address my comments about fermentation and aging being the key, though

9 Likes

You seem to be the type that likes a culinary project, so you may dig the vegan cheeses this person has created: Vegan Cheese Recipes - Full of Plants

They’ve introduced all sorts of cheese making tricks into the vegan sphere, I think it’s super interesting.

8 Likes

I will most certainly explore that!

9 Likes

Moderation on home made hummus? No! Not a chance!

Eat lots, quickly, it does go off unlike the shop stuff which doesn’t really. Also, eat it quickly as the rest of the household have decided they don’t like the shop stuff any more so it runs out quickly.

Moderation is for losers!

9 Likes

Has anyone else noticed the texture of homemade hummus is very different when using dried chickpeas soaked over night verses canned chickpeas?

6 Likes

Also, and at the moment I do use canned chickpeas, more expensive canned ones are better than the normal. Less gritty.

I do prefer non canned beans in almost every situation though. Black beans…. Yum.

8 Likes

@robertmckenna @Kii FWIW I’ve made this multiple times, and no one believes it’s not store bought: The Best Smooth Hummus Recipe

Baking soda is a wondrous thing.

10 Likes

Dried beans need bicarb!

7 Likes

Try saying that three times, backward, in the mirror at midnight.

I think the spirit of Julia Child appears.

5 Likes

Bon Appetit Cooking GIF by PBS Digital Studios

9 Likes

Peeling them makes a difference to the texture, my main complaint about canned chickpeas is they taste like can, or maybe it’s oxidation, or the antioxidant… I dunno.

I use em in cooking, but where they’re not cooked (like a salad) we use soaked.

7 Likes

I usually resist peeling the skins off fruit and veg, especially if they are organic produce, because I need all the vitamins, all the fiber, etc. (I understand that making tempeh only works properly if the soybeans are peeled, though. Getting into tempeh making is on my list of projects to start and become proficient in.)

Some folks though are all about consistency and mouthfeel. I have one friend who will not eat whole cooked mushrooms because how they feel when he eats them. Etc.

A friend who learned from his Lebanese roommate how to make felafel says that one starts with dried garbanzos, then soak them, then grind them. No cooking before they meet the heat as patties or balls etc. If I make cooked garbanzos, getting the aquafaba is a second yield that is very useful:

This edible miracle goo has been mentioned upthread, thanks to all who did.

8 Likes

I think I am loving this stuff!! Not at all vegan, but trying to incorporate less horrible dishes into our diet. Collecting recipes out of this thread to try!

9 Likes