Professor who blocked a student reporter from reporting last year has been charged with assault

I’m sorry - in this pedants’ playground, is no-one going to question the use of the word “irony”? It sounds entirely expected and predictable. Where is the irony?

1 Like

She wanted to spark up a friendly BBQ?

This is a bullshit charge. I can live in a world where this lady can block my path and I can push my way through. We have become like cowardly children.

5 Likes

Someone from a UK university once described associate professor to me as being ‘American for senior lecturer’.

2 Likes

this pleases me.

1 Like

I’m not so sure she will continue holding her job. Tenure can be taken away.

1 Like

I’m glad my ticket won! Then again, I wish some of my colleagues’ tickets had been losers.

1 Like

It looks like she may well be a big deal in both communications and feminism.

That was my question when it happened. I think I said something about trees and forests… I got crickets

1 Like

Can you? Is she?

If I recall correctly, the area she was trying to block was where the protesters had set up living quarters – the idea was the blockaders were trying to protect the privacy of the people occupying a public space.

Well intentioned on one level, but completely bone-headed on so many other levels.

There may also have been some element of wanting to control the message. But that’s never possible. And I don’t remember this aspect very well.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, the Missouri senate hopes to use budgetary threats to force the U of MO to fire Click. Yay, what a win for academic freedom!

Of course, the real issue – systemic racism in Missouri and in the University leadership and community – is mostly forgotten. Good on Sen. Chapelle-Nadal:

The debate over Click is an attempt to gloss over racial problems in Missouri, Sen. Maria Chapelle-Nadal said. The protests in Ferguson and the demonstrations at MU generated white resentment and Click is a scapegoat, she said. “We are reminded as people of color every single day that we are not treated as 100 percent human being,” Chapelle-Nadal, D-University City, said. “And that is why we are still dealing with it every single day is that we are not being treated equally. This conversation about Professor Click is just a cover-up, for real, for saying we don’t like black people talking out loud.”

5 Likes

BTW, the student reporter (Schierbecker) wasn’t reporting that day for the Maneater or any other publication. He was at the protest to capture confrontation. Just a little corrective to your headline.

1 Like

#[citation needed]

6 Likes

To be honest, I’m less offended that she threatened to “call in the heavies” (or whatever her wording was), and more offended that she is a PROFESSOR who does not understand what to do with a student journalist who is trying to cover the protest you are part of. Especially a professor who is part of a school of Journalism.

2 Likes

They should have engaged the press and given them a location to talk to protesters that were willing to talk while sheltering the people that couldn’t handle it. When you protest you damn well need to get the press on your side no matter what gender that press is.

This lady is probably the least media savvy person I have ever seen.

2 Likes

Or you would have been cuffed and arrested on the spot as a troublemaker. If your skin were darker than “average” white then you would have been tased and/or tackled first, just to be safe.

You certainly wouldn’t get two and a half months to get your shit together.

Then they should have offered the press an area to talk to people. You don’t wall off the media from your protest.

You can’t control the message by attacking the press no matter what agenda the press might have.

Give them an area where the larger field can be photographed but ask them nicely not to get in the face of individuals.

2 Likes

Difficult to prove a negative, of course, but Schierbecker (as far as I know) has never claimed to be working for any news organization while making his video. Moreover, the Maneater (for whom Schierbecker did do occasional photo assignments) has disassociated itself from his actions that day. See https://photographyisnotacrime.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/email-from-maneater.jpg. Other sources note that Schierbecker has been shopping his story around, both at the time of the incidents and currently as this assault charge moves forward.

2 Likes

Click had a courtesy appointment only at the School of Journalism. Seems like a minor point, but still.

1 Like