Project leveraging AI to scan and translate Vatican texts dating back to the 8th century

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/01/project-leveraging-ai-to-scan.html

1 Like

Spoiler, its mostly dirty limericks and and fart jokes…

2 Likes

No, really:

But having all these works digitized, translates and searchable could be a treasure trove of firsthand accounts of life throughout history. Really cool.

4 Likes

Yeah, I was patially joking. And yes, it will be neat to see those texts.

I got a tour of the rare book portion of a library and got to see things like a first edition of Copernicus’ book on the motion of the earth around the sun.

3 Likes

Anyone?

2 Likes

The one I remember is Silverberg’s Good News from the Vatican (which was 1971 and won a Nebula).

It would be awesome if the software could identify the handwriting of a particular scribe, and we could get to know (in a strange attenuated way) some of the people who handled these texts long ago.

3 Likes

Too bad that you could jam the number of scholastically accessible information in the VSA could be jammed up a gnat’s ass and it’d look like a BB in a boxcar.

This is a very complicated sentence is very complicated.

1 Like

Nope. Miller’s “A Canticle for Liebowitz” is fantastic and worth a read. Blish’s “A Case of Conscience” is too pulpy in places, but pretty good nonetheless.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recs. I enjoyed the Simak. Liebowitz was good too. I’ll have to check out Blish’s.

Needs more cowbell blockchain.

we prefer

“information that can dance on the head of a pin.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.