"Prolific litigant" bought $40 used printer then sued seller for $30,000

So that’s what Pay PAL is for.

2 Likes

I’ll admit, I first read the headline as “professional litigant” for an instant, and, apparently, I was not far off the mark.

3 Likes

Hold on. The guy who thought that, and filed all of these suits, is not a lawyer. That might imply that there weren’t any lawyers who thought that, rather than what you’re saying. What really worries me is that he found a judge who thought that was reasonable.

2 Likes

I’m aware that the guy filing the claim isn’t a lawyer, but judges are lawyers.

2 Likes

Yep, why aren’t the Judges more proactive in swinging the scales of justice back into the courts? By allowing these cases to proceed (especially for such lengths of time), they are complicit in the insanity. Does “breach of fiduciary duty” (in this case, justice, and the law) ever apply to Judges? Are they hesitant to quash frivolous suits because it could hurt their own careers if they are seen as unsympathetic to such suits? Rhetorical questions. Ironically, Judge Judy would never stand for any of this.

3 Likes

I’m surprised more people don’t just murder folks like this. Literally my first thought was how I’d go about getting away with it.

3 Likes

… You may want to seek help.

2 Likes

Don’t need it. Uncle Sam taught me how to do it by myself.

6 Likes

… Not what I meant.

2 Likes

Well *I’m* not helping him get away with it.

2 Likes

I’m honestly surprised that nobody has resorted to this. I’m betting that this guy has enough of a reputation wherever he lives that the police could be advised by many judges “man, this guy would have had waaaay too many enemies to be able to conduct any reasonable sort of inquiry into his murder. Not enough evidence. Case closed!”.

I’m not quite sure how you would structure this, in legal terms, to avoid clauses that are abusable in other ways; but it seems like some variant of ‘standing’, but for magnitude-of-suit, would be useful here.

If we are having a dispute over a transaction that was under $100, including shipping and handling and whatnot, it seems like one simply shouldn’t have ‘standing’ for a $30,000 suit(barring special circumstances like a pattern of fraud on the seller’s part or the like). Even if the seller openly and intentionally stiffed you in such a transaction, one would hope that the court would need very good reasons to even consider a case for more than 10x the value of the transaction, and this guy wanted 300x the value.

There is a danger to ‘cap liability at value of transaction’, since that’s effectively “if you get caught, give it back and say sorry; otherwise you win” which works just fine for serial scammers; but when “treble damages” is the standard for “ooh, now you’ve done it” in a variety of legal contexts, it seems insane that a sub $100 transaction could possibly merit a lawsuit of that size.

4 Likes

This might well be why he is buying long distance(either always has, or quickly moved to; certain social norms tend to get enforced the hard way if you breach them in person).

Lol! I thought the same thing.

That would be “Mr Frankland of Lafter Hall.” Yes, Hound of the Baskervilles. Originally serialized from mid-1901 into 1902. Unlike most of the canon, the story doesn’t specify the exact dates, though it appears to predate Holmes’s “death” in the “The Final Problem” which is set in 1891.

His passion is for the British law, and he has spent a large fortune in litigation. He fights for the mere pleasure of fighting and is equally ready to take up either side of a question, so that it is no wonder that he has found it a costly amusement. Sometimes he will shut up a right of way and defy the parish to make him open it. At others he will with his own hands tear down some other man’s gate and declare that a path has existed there from time immemorial, defying the owner to prosecute him for trespass. He is learned in old manorial and communal rights, and he applies his knowledge sometimes in favour of the villagers of Fernworthy and sometimes against them, so that he is periodically either carried in triumph down the village street or else burned in effigy, according to his latest exploit.

1 Like

You’ve got it exactly! There wasn’t too much humor in the stories, but there were a few bits. Gee, I’ll have to read them all again soon. :spy:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.