Proposed German pets rights law would require two walks a day for dogs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/24/proposed-german-pets-rights-la.html

4 Likes

And all the dogs are going “two paws up”.

But some dogs can’t handle those long walks. Pokey expected a brisk walk to the park every day for years, 45 to 60 minutes every afternoon.

But he’s turning 14 in October, which isn’t a record but is near the limit for Labradors. He still expects that walk, somehow shifted to the morning, and will poke me to remind me. But his brisk walks are in the past, and on the days we do go to the park, I’m starting to worry that he won’t be able to get home. And there’s no way I can carry him. A few weeks ago when he lay down on the sidewalk while we were waiting for the light, a woman passing by told us of a canine transport.

Then yesterday we saw two dogs get into two different cars after a walk. Talk about valet service, the best I could do is buy a wagon for him.

9 Likes

Germany’s plan to get rid of all the piles of dog poop: Walk them to death.

2 hour-long walks a day would murder my old dog.

8 Likes

My 14-year-old Golden Retriever (more of a Platinum Retriever now) isn’t interested in taking multiple walks a day anymore, brisk or otherwise.

6 Likes

There is nothing both adorable and heartbreaking than watching a Daschund or Corgi trying to keep up with an owner who takes long strides as they walk. Their little legs are so disproportionate to the rest of their bodies and can only propel them so fast for so long. They have to take 20 steps for every 1 their owner.

6 Likes

This is why I have cats. Scooping a litter box 1-2 times a day is much faster and can be done comfortably in the wintertime.

6 Likes

I’d rather see a law that says “You can’t have a dog if all you’re going to do is tie them up in the yard and leave them there”.

15 Likes

I do think that getting your pup a wagon might be a decent idea if its not a huge hassle for you. Otherwise another idea might be to drive to the park, take your dog for a walk around it and then drive back home :slight_smile:

As far as the proposed German law i don’t see how it could be enforced. Would owners need to use an app to prove that they’re taking the dogs for a walk? (i can see flaws in this already), or is it something that’s on the honor system and the dog walking part is just for show. The other parts of the law do make sense to me for requiring humane temperatures and conditions for dogs part of breeding enterprises.

4 Likes

Klöckner is an idiot. The one time she pulls her head out of the food industries ass to suck in air she spits out this bullshit. No way this is going to pass through the Bundestag.

9 Likes

Just keep in mind that Julia Klöckner is an arch-conservative who is against gay marriage, is pro life and generally supports whatever the big agriculture lobby wants her to support. So something like this is a spin campaign at best.

Edit: @FFabian: jinx!

10 Likes

A bulldog lives two doors over. He seemed to be having problems keeping up. But then I got to know him, and he lives up to his name. He wasn’t struggling to keep up, he was trying to have his way. He wanted to stop and sniff, or go over there, which required a level of resistance to his owner.

If he has the chance, he comes over to see us, he’s a good dog.

3 Likes

I don’t drive, hence the wagon. But yes, with a wagon we could have some variety, not spending his energy on getting to a different area.

3 Likes

I hate the idea of raising dogs in cities. I’m sure plenty still lead active, fulfilled lives, but if we’re going to start legislating down this road, I’d love to see some requirement for access to private greenspace. Because as much as dogs need access to places to roam, I want to enjoy my tax-funded parks without having to deal with your dog.

1 Like

These activists don’t seem to realize that if they keep making it so much harder to own pets, even more pets will never, ever be adopted at all.

3 Likes

If there’s one thing Julia Klöckner and the German agricultural ministry aren’t, it’s activists.

3 Likes

Interesting perspective. To guests as they enter your home, handing them a scooper, “Here, make yourself comfortable.”

2 Likes

I read it as the two walks have to add up to an hour. So half what you’re saying.

2 Likes

My dog has informed me that any plans to return to the land of his ancestors are not going to work.

One 30 min walk in fair weather, no rain. Snow however is acceptable.
Two 30 min snuggles in bed for each walk or even a consideration of walk.

Back to snuggling a grumpy older Dachshund.

5 Likes

Still seems better than North Korea’s new pet policy…

"North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un has ordered pet dogs to be confiscated in the country’s capital, saying the pooches represent Western “decadence’’ — but their owners fear Fido is really headed for someone’s dinner table.

Kim issued the directive in July to round up the pets, claiming they were part of “a ‘tainted’ trend by bourgeouis ideology,’’ a source told the English edition of Chosun Ilbo, a South Korean newspaper."

6 Likes

And in France

3 Likes