Protestors hack Iran state TV live on air

Originally published at: Protestors hack Iran state TV live on air | Boing Boing

12 Likes

boom yes GIF by Crowdfire

17 Likes

Became a happy colleague of a scientist from Tehran while in Germany*. Such an impressive fellow! He felt sure that the people of Iran would rise up any day and throw off the theocracy. Here’s hoping that he’s just been a decade late in that presumption and the time is now. Such good-hearted people deserve so much better (and modernity) from their society.

(*he liked to joke at me that i had such trouble getting marginally functional with the German language. “ey! Try it starting from Persian. From Persian, German is practically English.”)

17 Likes

Have they tried pouring milk on cheese though?

2 Likes

Max Headroom approves.

8 Likes

That mask should be everywhere. Just to piss them off.

7 Likes

its usual broadcast footage of muttering, geriatric, invariably male clerics

11 Likes

How do you pull off something like that? You can’t just hijack airwaves anymore, or internal microwave transmissions like they did with the max headroom hack. And if that was the case, the TV station couldn’t have switched back to the presenter like they clearly did.

Surely the currently playing feed is a recording chosen to be played in a control room? Do you manipulate the recording and sneak it into their queue? Is there any way this can be done remotely?

5 Likes

I think that the second oprion could be the more plausible, because the bumper scrolling section wasn’t affeted. With satellite and microwave feeds and a sufficiently powerful transmitter is still possible to hijack a signal, even if is digital.

5 Likes

Robot Politics GIF by Resistbot

10 Likes

5 Likes

What’s with these hate infected old men. I get it that there’s often pain and discomfort in aging people but one of the best responses to that feeling is to listen to the young. The hope, curiosity, and often just playfulness of younger people is attractive. it refocuses concerns of personal misery and discomfort and offers hope for the future. These old hateful fuckers should be put to work planting trees for their grandkids, or any of the oncoming generations. Good for the hackers, I hope they continue their work.

3 Likes

Testosterone poisoning, a term I adopted from Robert Anton Wilson, has many negative, lifelong effects in some sufferers.

3 Likes

Yep. The place was called Persia for ages. It was changed in 1935…

Aryan, eh? When they have fixed the clerics and the leaders, it would be nice if they reverted that change too.

2 Likes

Erm. You are referring to the Nazis, are you?

While the term “Arier” will rot in hell after being chosen by the Nazis for their insane idea of a pure Germanic race, the Aryan people haven’t had asked for this, and this should not be held against Iran. There’s so much else, so much more substantial which we can criticise.

BTW,

It’s true, though. Persian is quite a complex language, and actually in the same larger language family as the Germanic languages. Speakers of Persian do have it much easier to learn German then, e.g., speakers of Arabic. The suggestion maybe wasn’t expedient, but would have worked…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.