Psychic Uri Geller explains the bending iPhones

As Ben Kenobi said, “Now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long while!”

1 Like

If by people you mean Uri Geller…

2 Likes

The man has no shame.

That’s the way I understand it. A person can call himself psychic for all I care, I’ll understand what that means.

Words don’t always obscure meaning unless you’re too in love with the word itself to see that its just an imperfect stand in for what is meant. If this were not true then we would have to mean, that while Uri Geller isn’t psychic, someone else might be, so we must save the word for when someone actually comes along and proves the claim. (As if the existence of psychic powers were still up for debate) :smile:

How is that guy still making money on one trick?

1 Like

Because fake psychic fake bending phones and sticking to a blackberry as an alternative to iphones totally falls under the rule of funny.

My favourite psychic story is the person who got hit on the head by some planks in a DIY shop and subsequently sued the company for loss of psychic powers. The evidence? No psychic powers after the accident!

3 Likes

I can use the power of my mind to bend spoons. Here’s how it works: I use my mind to control my hands. . . which then pick up spoons and bend them.

1 Like

He’s done okay for himself, too.

This is his house (the big one with the tennis court right by the Thames), cycled past it once or twice

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sonning,+reading&hl=en&ll=51.476001,-0.91046&spn=0.002643,0.004823&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=10.274968,19.753418&hnear=Sonning,+Wokingham,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=18

Because people are dumb.

2 Likes

He’s only making a living because people take him too seriously. As a magician he’s a third-rate hack; any half-competent illusionist can do the old spoon-bending trick. The only reason he’s been able to parlay that into a decades-long career is that he’s convinced so many people he’s NOT an illusionist.

If you watch a guy pull a rabbit out of his hat you might applaud politely while trying to figure out how he did it. If you meet a guy who you are convinced actually has the power to summon rabbits from thin air then you might fork over your life savings trying to get some insight into his miraculous powers.

4 Likes

I can’t believe you posted about bendgate being a hoax and not Uri Geller. Now this is a hoax, Apple just had bad luck that blew over.

Uri Geller’s been a laughingstock for as long as I’ve been alive, whereas ‘bendgate’ keeps getting reported as if it’s a real thing, which it isn’t. I don’t think ol’ Uri needs my help in pointing at him.

1 Like

You owe me a spoon.

3 Likes

Shit. He lives here?

it is not the iPhone that bends, it is only yourself.

Yeah, it’s not like there are any real psychics out there to confuse people.

In fact, if someone was a fake psychic, I would argue that means it’s someone who was using real magic to simulate cheap mentalist illusions.

There are quite some money in it, for those able to demonstrate the stuff in conditions not controlled by them.

One of the prizes is for $1 million.

None was successfully claimed so far.

1 Like

News coverage of product failures has been a laughingstock for as long as I’ve been alive… I don’t think media outlets need my help in pointing at them.

I think you are confusing statistically improbable with doesn’t exist. Like I said, Apple had bad luck; it’s blown over.

I suspect those phones were bent using the same method that Geller uses to bend his spoons.

That’s a sort of roundabout paraphrasing of James Randi, who says, “If Uri Geller bends spoons with divine powers, then he’s doing it the hard way.”

1 Like