Psychobilly rocker Mojo Nixon has died at the age of 66

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/08/psychobilly-rocker-mojo-nixon-has-died-at-the-age-of-66.html

6 Likes

But… IF YOU AIN’T GOT MOJO NIXON, YOUR STORE COULD USE SOME FIXIN’!!! :sob:

39 Likes

Awww no. So young…

14 Likes

A real original. Jesus at McDonald’s was the first song I heard by them, and I loved their rockabilly weird sensibilities. The 80’s were a wild time where folks could do some truly wildly creative (even profane) stuff and get famous for it. Mojo ended up on MTV all the time after his Elvis song broke out.

What a wild time. Almost makes me sad for the 90’s, even if it remains my favorite era of rock music. But it lacked that shoe-string feel many 80’s bands brought to their labels before indie rock became far more corporate. Weird bands with weird lyrics doing their own stuff and getting famous for being weird. Right Weird Al?

14 Likes

He answered the question what if C.W.McCall played in a psychobilly band.

9 Likes

More Mojo!!! From 2019…

21 Likes

my first all-ages shows were bands my friends were in.
but my first all-ages show that I bought a ticket in advance and the bands were on tour was the Dead Milkmen opening for Mojo. he was great.
so long to an American original.

15 Likes

Is that what Hank Williams’ grandson used to do?

10 Likes

Survived by Debbie Gibson and Don Henley.

11 Likes

If you don’t got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin’

6 Likes

Didn’t read the comments before posting, huh?

9 Likes

Dating Game Dont GIF by BabylonBee

13 Likes

He complimented my girlfriend at the time, in between songs from the stage, on her choice of top. Still makes me smile when I think about it now.

RIP Mojo

11 Likes

A guy from the radio station at my alma mater would go to shows and interview musicians backstage-- for some reason he started asking the artists this ridiculous question that I later found out came from a Barbara Walters interview: If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?

Mojo heard that, and without losing a step said “I’d be that one tree in the forest that the female bears go rub up against when they get all horny and excited.”

12 Likes

I always loved that he used a hotel desk bell as a musical instrument, and that he got turned into a lizard-headed freak in the Super Mario Bros. movie!

6 Likes

And Martha Quinn, though he just wanted her muffins.

5 Likes

I saw him perform in Athens Georgia a few times in the 1980s and in Atlanta one time in the early 1990s.

4 Likes

“He don’t work here”

7 Likes

TFW I’m trying to be clever but suddenly realize I’m just stupid.

2 Likes

That’s a great double bill (I never saw Mojo Nixon but the Dead Milkmen were good live.)

4 Likes