Public school suspends 8-year-old girl for wearing wrong shade of green

Agreed and in this case, I’d nuke the nukes just to be double-sure.

2 Likes

REPENT!
REPENT!
REPENT!

it doesn’t matter if you already did.

REPENT AGAIN! HARDER!!

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s right or reasonable or rational. But the Common App asks (at least as of 2007…) - and they’re pretty clear about it.
And then there’s this: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/experts/
Where they’re pretty explicit about even expunged suspensions being reported.
Look, I agree with you. It’s bullshit, and it shouldn’t change her chances. But given some of the stupidity in education we’re seeing here, I’m not confident in saying it.

3 Likes

WHY WON’T YOU ADMIT HOW DUMB THIS IS AND THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED DIFFERENTLY!!!111!!ONE!!! 

7 Likes

With the number of college applications going through the roof, I wouldn’t put it past colleges to use shit like this to help automatically thin out the number of applications that an actual human has to go through. You’re a borderline acceptance, on par with somebody else who’s never been suspended? Well, out you go, even though it was in third grade over something fucking ridiculous.

But the dress was tangerine and puce!!! Puce!!!!

4 Likes

All school uniforms should be tweed.

13 Likes

Yeah, it appears to be a combination of thinning the herd and trying to protect themselves from the liability of accepting someone who turns out to be dangerous. They can’t ask about mental health by law, but they can ask about run-ins with the law.
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
It’s supposed to be about helping the kids. Not “thinning the herd” or “punishing” or whatever else.
Jesus.

All tweed should only be used in school uniforms.

4 Likes

Common App asks about “9th grade or onward,” which is pretty clear. So she’ll be in the clear on this one.

1 Like

Why can I only like this once?
Is there a way to like this more times?

Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like. Like.

7 Likes

#I got 'em cheaper

13 Likes

Is Swiss alps grass-green a light or dark green?

1 Like

Behold the flag of Libya under Muammar Gadaffi, the color chosen to reflect his green book condemning liberal democracy. That’s basically what she’s wearing.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’d get more than a little heated if I had to leave work to pick my kid up from school, make arrangements for someone to look after my 8 year old for several days, etc. over an ill defined question of brightness.

7 Likes

I snipped the image of the two girls and used Paint Shop Pro to interrogate the colors. I tried to get similar areas, but that’s subjective (I don’t feel motivated to try to take a spatial average). The hues were 114 and 122 respectively. Both saturations are 255. Luminance is the most different, 45 vs. 32. Given how many colors the eye can see, it seems like difference is pretty trivial, not worth a suspension. How stupid of the school.

8 Likes

As a Catholic School Survivor, I HATE uniforms.

That said, the “adults” at this school need to GROW UP!

4 Likes

I’m a Catholic School survivor too, except I loved uniforms. I never had to think about what I was going to wear beyond, pants? yes. shirt? yes. alright done.

1 Like

I’m with you. As an educator at a school without uniforms, I don’t see violations UNLESS it’s really screaming at me. I’ve only dress-coded a student one time and it was because she came late to class and was not very discreet while entering the classroom. (Talking to EVERYONE on the way to her desk, almost like she was running for an election.) I explained that someone breaking the dress code shouldn’t be calling attention as they arrive late. All she got was a 30 minute detention. She didn’t seem to take it personally AND she was very quiet the next time she was late. Lesson learned.

The schools in Long Beach, California, have uniforms, but they have a lot of options within their color schemes (different colors for each high school-usually involving white, black, khaki, and their two school colors). I think this helps even out the socio-economic playing field. However, I have noticed that the high school with USC colors doesn’t get too bothered if students show up with Stanford cardinal rather than the prescribed maroon shade.

edit to fix auto-corrections

4 Likes

FYI: UCs don’t ask so you don’t have to tell. One of my AP Language student plagiarized his paper and I heard that he got accepted he to UCSD. I know that he got caught cheating before my class (junior year) and during his senior year. I asked the guidance counselor how he got into this school with all of his cheating and she said that the school can’t report if not asked.

This was 2010–maybe they’ve changed by now?

1 Like