Public treated to obfuscation at Waterfront Toronto meeting on negotiations with Google sister company over surveillance district

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/public-treated-to-obfuscation.html

4 Likes

Just think of the free wifi, gosh it will be awesome.

6 Likes

Oh, Canada. I guess your politicians are peppered with money-grubbing filth too. That’s a bummer. You get so many other things right.

2 Likes

I was just re-watching the Rick and Morty episode last night “Something Ricked This Way Comes” with the Needful things shop. Kind of looks a lot like this mess of a project.

3 Likes

This is a hugely important story as Google rolls out its first trial for city-wide corporate surveillance. Thanks to Rosemary Frei for covering it & to the Canadian Civil Liberties Association for resisting it, on behalf of all of us. Final vote March 31, 2020 but the public agency Waterfront Toronto acts like it’s already a done deal.

3 Likes

If this thing works out (i.e. if Google makes a shit ton of money selling seriously targeted data to advertisers) then you can bet it’s comin’ to your town next!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.