Pumpkin Spice Spam hitting stores in September

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/18/pumpkin-spice-spam-hitting-sto.html

2 Likes

21 Likes

that’s my Oh FFS for the day sorted.

5 Likes

21 Likes

15 Likes

Now if only we can add fangs

19 Likes

16 Likes

I never understand the hype about Pumpkin Spice, I think its terrible.
But this… Jesus, thats a whole cornocopia of dreadfull.

7 Likes

Spam punched more Nazis than Captain America. It gets a pass from me.

“ The difficulty of delivering fresh meat to the front during World War II saw Spam become a ubiquitous part of the U.S. soldier’s diet. It became variously referred to as “ham that didn’t pass its physical”, “meatloaf without basic training”,[1] and “Special Army Meat”. Over 150 million pounds of Spam were purchased by the military before the war’s end.[10]

“ During World War II and the occupations which followed, Spam was introduced into Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, the Philippines, and other islands in the Pacific. Immediately absorbed into native diets, it has become a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific islands.[11]

As a consequence of World War II rationing and the Lend-Lease Act, Spam also gained prominence in the United Kingdom. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher later referred to it as a “wartime delicacy”.[12][13] In addition to increasing production for the U.K., Hormel expanded Spam output as part of Allied aid to the similarly beleaguered Soviet Union.[14]Nikita Khrushchev declared: “Without Spam we wouldn’t have been able to feed our army.”[15]Throughout the war, countries ravaged by the conflict and faced with strict food rations came to appreciate Spam.[16]
Wikipedia

34 Likes

There is pumpkin spice in so many things that don’t contain any pumpkin. At what point does it stop being pumpkin spice and just another spice mix?

14 Likes

Which of the Spice Girls was Pumpkin Spice?

11 Likes

It’s basically German Chocolate Cake at this point. It’s pumpkin PIE spice, but everyone leaves out the pie part, and then inevitably goes “oh but there’s no pumpkin, it’s just spice” and yes of course, that’s because it’s the spice you put INTO a pumpkin pie.

(German Chocolate Cake is “German’s Chocolate Cake”, named after the last name of the guy who invented the recipe, but someone left off the apostrophe. I like explaining things.)

18 Likes

That would be none other that the current president of the United States: Donald J. Trump.

7 Likes

I now respect Spam as much more than “the zombie apocalypse is upon us, might as well break out the Spam,” and, of course,

https://youtu.be/4Zp8jHvsepk

(Not sure what’s up with oneboxing, but that would Monty Python’s famous Spam song!)

4 Likes

lets be clear. Spam is a wonderful thing when used as a pork/protein substitute. So for example…instead of traditional bacon or sausage…have fried spam with your eggs. Instead of chicken, shrimp, or pork in your fried rice…use fried spam.

this. this is madness.

7 Likes

I’m with you. However, the waffles and spiced spam thing has my interest mildly piqued.

8 Likes

Spam punched Hitler almost as much as these guys did.

Although- The Mighty Atom gets third place.

4 Great Nazi Punchers in History by the Forward

Born Joseph Greenstein, the Mighty Atom was a legendary 1930s bodybuilder who could hammer a nail with his palm and bend horseshoes with his teeth.

In 1939, he singlehandedly sent 18 members of the pro-Nazi German American Bund to the hospital, according to an account in a 1998 biography by Ed Spielman.

The Bundists had slung a sign outside a Manhattan building where they were meeting reading, “NO DOGS OR JEWS.” The Mighty Atom, seeing the sign, rented a ladder. He climbed up the side of the building, grabbed the sign, and pulled it down. The Bundists objected, and a brawl ensued.

“It wasn’t a fight,” the Mighty Atom said. “It was a pleasure.

42 Likes

I don’t think you understand what that means.

2 Likes

I . . . I don’t think this is necessarily terrible.

We flavor meats with all sorts of spices. This combo doesn’t strike me as more terrible than some of the specialty Spam flavors out there.

11 Likes

“no thank you”

Spam is actually very tasty. And these spices are very approriate for pork products. Moreso than all the other crap that gets pumpkin spiced, come late summer and into fall.

11 Likes