Puppeteer Caroll Spinney (Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch), RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/09/puppeteer-caroll-spinney-big.html

7 Likes

10 Likes

Oh man. I heard the news earlier this morning. I haven’t yet, but I know my eyes are going to tear up at some point today.

3 Likes

He was a very sweet, open and kind man. He’ll be missed.

9 Likes

Don’t worry about Big Bird. Mr. Hooper will look after him.

Crummy news, but a reminder of a thoughtful and talented performer who knew how to connect with his audience.

14 Likes

Rest in peace.

9 Likes

Well unfortunately Spinney might be gone, but Big Bird, Oscar, and others will live on through the hearts and minds of children and former children everywhere.

6 Likes

Posting this again, for those who may have missed it:

8 Likes

Also talented understudies who will continue to perform the characters. Puppeteer Matt Vogel has been bringing Big Bird to screen since 1997 and Eric Jacobson has been performing as Oscar since 2015. Luckily they both had a chance to spend years learning from the best.

7 Likes

OH yes, many of the muppets of the past have lived on after their previous handlers either moved on or passed on. That’s the magic of these creations.

5 Likes

Spinney gave me lots of joy as a child but I’m also glad that Sesame Street now reaches kids in more countries in the world and is even reaching out to some of the more war torn parts to help kids there.

4 Likes

He also illustrated some of the show-related books, for example:

I’ve wondered if that was him falling out of the chair in “Everybody Sleeps” (at 1:10; also is that Jim Henson flopping around in bed, and Dennis Quaid in the VW Transporter?)

Also wondered (with much less certainty) if he played Charles in “Charles’s Chicken Soup” (except that someone else would’ve had to operate Oscar).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.