Putin: Russia hopes Trump will visit Moscow for Victory Day ('May Day')

Can we swap Trump for an unprosecuted Edward Snowden?

2 Likes

Fuck that capitalist revisionist nonsense. May Day is International Workers Solidarity day and it has been intentionally obscured by the US and a few others. Take a look at this page to see how consistently it is celebrated as such and then the fun entry that is the United States: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers'_Day

2 Likes

Right… but in Russian the worker and the state went hand in hand. Every worker for the state. It was a forced patriotism event for all of Eastern Europe. My MiL had to go to the parades in Poland. And really it had more to do with nationalistic/party might than workers solidarity. Yes they had workers march in the parade, but what do tanks and missile launchers have to do with workers solidarity? It was also a show of might of the party and nation.

The new Victory Parade fulfills the same nationalistic rhetoric. I am not sure what, if any, spot light it has with workers. But its purpose and timing is derivative of the Soviet May Day parades.

2 Likes

In this case, though, Trump would be better than a double-agent.

• He doesn’t read briefings,
  • He couldn’t remember them if he did,
  • He’s so self-serving he would mess with Vlad, too,
  • In the end he’s a liability to whomever he associates with.
1 Like

Fair, though in that case I’d maintain that it is revisionism / co-opting but in this case by Russia, which makes sense given its latter day Stalinist nationalist revisionism and its current obvious capitalist interests.

To be clear, I’m not disagreeing with your assessment that it is supplanting May Day in Russia, just asserting that they’re bastards for doing that.

ETA: Actually it sounds like Victory Day and May Day are both recognized holidays in Russia, but they renamed May Day “Spring and Labor Day” and neutered it of its political roots.

Though I’m sure that Victory Day serves a similar role to discourage dissent and redirect discourse as Memorial Day does in the US.

ETAM: Oh right we made May 1st Loyalty Day here, where we set aside time for “reaffirmation of loyalty to the United States and for the recognition of the heritage of American freedom”. Perfectly normal country.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.