Putting two elevators in one shaft

Dammit! You beat me to it. Well played.

1 Like

Soā€¦ how does the lower carā€™s cable get to the top floor, since thereā€™s another car above it?

I imagine the cables are offset with the attachment points near the sides instead of the center.

1 Like

One canā€™t go to the ground floor. The other canā€™t go to the top floor. Suppose you want to go from ground to top?

2 Likes

If there was a space above the top floor for elevator storage and a likewise space below the bottom floor, you theoretically could.

4 Likes

Or perhaps the lower carā€™s cable is just routed around the upper car with pulleys on itā€™s side.

It seems that could lead to some issues with placement of cables and counter-weights, unless Iā€™m misunderstanding.

Note the rightmost shaft.

Couldnā€™t you just have a pulley near the center of the roof and floor each, and two more at the edges, so the cable is routed around? Iā€™m no engineer, so maybe thereā€™s some issue with the cable lengths Iā€™m overlooking, but the vector forces should be the same as if the cable when directly down through the car.

ETA: Oh, I see what you mean. How to get the weight passed the other car. Could they share a weight?

oh hell no. HELL NO. :wink:

4 Likes

The obvious solution, a vertical tram, doesnā€™t exist and I canā€™t figure out why.

The counter weights are going to need to move separately. I was mainly thinking about symmetry, and straight cable runs.

2 Likes

i believe the other cars are the counter weights?

1 Like

That would cut down on the proposed independence of movement.

1 Like

Deathtrapsā€¦

1 Like

No more than any normal tram.

not if they moved in opposing pairs, with revolutionary software and cutting edge hitatchi design.

You could watch the video. Though it all sounds like my first sentence there, so mute it.

I did. Maybe I missed something. Hereā€™s some marketing from the company that makes them. Note the counterweightsā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s right at 3 min inā€¦

Actually pretty ingenious.

2 Likes

Oh. I didnā€™t realize we were talking about @nemomenā€™s post the whole time and not the original. (Note, I was speaking about 2 cars independent in one shaft, as the original article sets out.)

Yeah. The circulating one is sort of neat too.

1 Like