Putting two elevators in one shaft

Confused me too.

Not the elevator system from the original article. Still neat though.

1 Like

The soundtrack to this video is quite tasteful.

2 Likes

Here Iā€™m trying to remember what film that wasnā€™t the Total Recall regrittified remake had 13 star cameos and was all about a 40 minute elevators-all-ways run/fakeout/firefight. Pfft. She and Her Cat? Roomsesā€™ieses? The first Faye ep. of Cowboy Bebop? The section in FF8 where the Indiansā€™ plush round elevatorsā€™ central stump was presumed to be part of a smaller, express elevator?

too many elevators in this shaft! My bad on that one.

3 Likes

NP. I was just confused by the comments after going off the initial illustration. Both systems are interesting to think about. The original posted one looks like it may (or may not) be reliant on software to stay safe, which makes me grind my teeth a bit. :slight_smile:

This sort of already ecu in very tall buildings with the skylobby concept:

The use of express elevators allows the shafts for the intermediate floors to be used by multiple cars in sections.

Instead of attaching to the center attach to the edges of the elevator.

I have been in a rogue elevator. It was terrifying. It went up and down like crazy; even going zero-G three or four times.

Zero G. Thank you, Elevator Manufacturer.

Zero G when you donā€™t know where in the building you could possibly be.

When it finally decided to arrive, I told the security guard to shut it down (modern sophisticated office big company) - he just looked at me like I was nuts.

About 3 weeks ago a bunch of people tumbled out of an elevator in a building I was in. They had my expression on their face. I knew. I knew. And then they started the PTSD talk. I knew.

Caution folks.

2 Likes

Youā€™d go to a mid building lobby or theyā€™d have express elevators that service ground to to the top half of the floors. A lot of buildings especially very tall ones that would benefit from this a lot already use multiple zones like that and mid building elevator lobbies so itā€™s not that different.

2 Likes

I got stuck in the stairs once cause of that. It was like 3 floors down to the express elevator stop and I was impatient so I headed the stairway and promptly found out you couldnā€™t open the doors from inside the stairway. There were security phones every few floors so I had to call and they came and let me out. I got to see an unfinished floor which was kind of neat.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never been in one. What a pain in the butt! I suppose no different to any mass transit system, but weirdly, for me, I want the elevator to go where I want to go.

Wait - maybe I have been in one! Empire State building, right?!

1 Like

There are other elevators that go where you want to go. Having express elevators to some parts of the building speeds up things a lot and means that people at the top donā€™t get screwed with really long waits going up and people in the middle floors donā€™t get screwed with constantly full elevators trying to go down. The second one happens a lot with hotels during conventions because the people on floors above you usually fill up the elevators long before they ever get to you.

Iā€™ve never been to the Empire State Building but it looks like they at least have an express elevator.

3 Likes

Every time I see the title of this article I canā€™t help but think of something else. Iā€™m a horrible person, and so are you if you know what Iā€™m thinking.

3 Likes

Did you not read all the comments to this thread?

1 Like

You kidding? Who has time to read these days.

2 Likes

You peculiar, disgusting person.

2 Likes

The Empire State Building doesnā€™t have sky lobbies as such, but there are different banks of elevators in the regular lobby servicing different ranges of floors, plus the tourist ones that only go to the observation deck. I donā€™t remember if the ranges overlap or if you have to go all the way to the lobby to get from 88 to 18. That would be an uncommon trip anyway.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.