Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

My guess is that supposed to be the unread indicator. I think those come from FontAwesome, so I bet you are blocking external fonts and your local copy is missing that glyph.

3 Likes

I’m seeing it on Windows and Android but only for that topic.

2 Likes

Heres another one

I think those are the only ones I’ve come across

1 Like

I’m not knowingly blocking any fonts, but I’m getting the same result… this happens on both Chrome and Samsung Browser (Chromium mod) on Android.

4 Likes

I’m seeing it on that topic too on a Windows 10 PC running Chrome. A google search says that it’s an “object replacement character,” so maybe the the post title contained an emoji, etc. that is not supported or something?

- Wiktionary.

3 Likes

Thats what i figured too.
%ef%bf%bc

Something in this string

4 Likes

Topics can and do have emoji, but if somebody is copying and pasting emoji into the title, it might not be making the transition back to unicode and then back to a supported emoji on the read side. Can we ask the authors if they intended to put an emoji or other symbol/image there?

1 Like

This is a weird glitch I’ve encountered today. I was/am unable to access this here BBS from firefox, except via a private window. No error message or anything - I would try to bring up the BBS, and it would not load at all. The main BB page is fine and I can access another discourse board I am on. This is the firefox version I’m currently on: 81.0.1 (64-bit) And I can get here via a private window, but not via the regular window… I am still unable to get it to come up outside of a private browsing window…

Any ideas what’s happening with this, or has anyone else had something similar going on?

[ETA] I turned it off and back on again (firefox) and that seems to have gotten the glitch sorted… just a weird to happen, but that’s what we get for choosing the crappy, low-cost future…

7 Likes

tumblr_p45ujj3WfX1sgf3swo5_r1_250

11 Likes

4 Likes

Ok - I’ll ask - what’s the deal with “Conjure” and these “make a painting out of a photo” images we are seeing. Did I miss a post about this before the images started appearing?

PS - thanks admin for relocating to better topic

I assumed it was this

1 Like

yes - thats what it is.

I mean is this going to be the new “style” for BB posts - lead-in photos will always be paint-ified?

So far I think it’s been limited to GQP assholes.

1 Like

Nah, its been on everything from the Banana museum to trump kissing putin.

Seems like it is limited to Popkin’s posts though, so maybe he is just having some fun with it

ETA: Oh, I see it is on a couple of Mark’s posts too. Still think it is probably just goofing around with a new toy

2 Likes

Seems like a fun, easy, and relatively creative way to illustrate posts that don’t have definitive images already (like vids or news photos). I’ve edited and authored lots of newsletters, blogs, etc and finding good images was often the most difficult part, even when using stock.

4 Likes

Another appearance of the mysterious floating [OBJ]

Do not fear the [OBJ]. In time you will come to know the [OBJ] and perhaps love the [OBJ].

16 Likes

It is the [OBJ] of my affection

12 Likes

Reminds me of this couple:

little rascals alfalfa GIF

11 Likes