Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

No need to delete your profile at all!

Just go to the security settings for your account, you should be able to add another login option there, or get a password reset email to use for Discourse’s own login mechanism.

6 Likes

Ah, didn’t work. I’ll try it again when I have more time . tnx

2 Likes

Should work as long as the registered email is the same on whatever method you try.

4 Likes

It was. I had to recover it, though, had been inactive. I have to work the next two days, but I’ll try again Sunday. In the meantime my pad remains logged in. ( until the next OS update :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Please remove the “feature” that tries to judge if I want to post something because Discourse has determined it doesn’t like my sentence structure.

Also please remove the “feature” that asks me to type bullshit in when I want to delete a user’s posts, I don’t need your help.

Additionally, when a user is banned for “a month” it does not mean “The rest of this month.” Give it 30 days.

5 Likes

Is it possible to change my account username or would that require creating a new account?

4 Likes

It should be possible. Have you tried asking @orenwolf ?

6 Likes

Nope, started here. I’ll try sending orenwolf a message. thanks

3 Likes

No need to. Not at all. Not about that.
In fact, I’d like to buy you a beer or three.

7 Likes

In the meantime the work-around im using for the ‘no copy,pasting URLs’ issue is to copy the URL, paste into a text message, then copy from the text message and paste into da BoingBoing

3 Likes

I just posted a reply, and got a friendly warning by the BBS if I wanted to reply to the original topic, or the current topic.

However, the original topic was given as “undefined”, and the current topic was the one I was replying to.

However, the BBS might got confused: I closed my browser in between. (Actually, it closed automatically, I have a timer set not to spend too much time on the BBS.)

Anyone ever had the same experience?

6 Likes

That’s a the pop up dialogue that you get when you quote a post in one thread but post the response in another. If that wasn’t intentional, then for some reason the system thought you changed your view to another thread before posting.

Most likely cause would be if the post you were quoting was moved to a different thread.

8 Likes

I started a topic in 2019 and what to change its title.
How may I do this?
Will I lose the posts up until now if I change the name?
Thank you for any help.
Kent Barnes

6 Likes

Its is renamed per your request

11 Likes

10 Likes

Yes, this does happen sometimes but I don’t have clear repro steps. If you have repro steps please do share!

4 Likes

@codinghorror So I keep… accidentally bookmarking things? I am not sure if this is an interaction design thing or what, but I think what happens is, I accidentally hit the keyboard shortcut to pull up the bookmark dialog, and then between that happening and me closing the dialog, a bookmark has been created, and occassionally a reminder set – I know not how.

This isn’t a huge deal, but it’s unexpected to see bookmarks for things I never actually meant to bookmark. It’s especially unexpected to see a Green Alert notification and have a minor moment of panic, only to discover that I somehow scheduled a bookmark reminder too.

At the very least I would expect some kind of explicit notification that a bookmark has been created (and alert set, as applicable) when a bookmark is made. Even better would be to make sure that it’s hard to make a bookmark when carelessly fat-fingering around the interface. It’s really weird that these somehow get created without my intent or even knowledge, even given my keyboard clumsiness.

I don’t have any more specifics than the above, and like I said, not exactly high priority, but it’s definitely something that’s worth poking at if bandwidth is available.

2 Likes

Ok so you keep hitting b with the editor not visible? Shouldn’t esc close the dialog? What’s happening after pressing b exactly?

2 Likes

That’s probably what it is. It’s possible I mash some other keys on the way to hitting esc. For some reason I think I manually hit the “x” button on the pop-up by mousing instead of hitting the escape key, though.

Whatever I do I am definitely either using the “x” control or esc. I am not sure what might be happening in the intervening time that makes an actual bookmark stick. To be sure, I don’t really have a complete picture of what sequence of events causes a spurious bookmark vs. what does not.

I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally created a bookmark. But I’ve deleted probably 50 bookmarks over the however many years I’ve been on BBS, including just today deleting a number that dated from a year or 2 ago to just a few days ago.

3 Likes

Unusual behavior seen on a few posts.

What is the mysterious [OBJ]?

Running BRAVE on Android

6 Likes