Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

It’s usually more like 2.5.

I got this error when I tried to set a bookmark reminder:

So yeah, the date is indeed in the future - 1st assumption was that I’d actually goofed. Then it was some kind of effort to back out of the bookmark dialog, but I did. When I tried to set the bookmark again, one of the choices was the last date/time I’d used - the same one I had just tried to unsuccessfully set. When I did it that way, it worked.

5 Likes

Yes, sure, that date is in the future. But YOU are now in the past relative to that future date. And, you know, you cannot set a bookmark reminder in the past. :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

Why do we keep posts showing nothing but “post deleted by author”? Is there a reason we need to know that someone took down a post, especially as there is rarely a hint left as to what was the problem?

1 Like

They do vanish after about 12 hours though.

8 Likes

For someone following the thread, it differentiates the writer’s intent versus moderation

7 Likes

This. While moderated posts usually have replies removed, user-deleted posts do not, so these markers help show where content was removed for a brief period while the conversation may still be actively taking place.

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

3 Likes

I’m having issues uploading or using the various widgets (both the gif thingie and the emoji thingie). I am also unable to upload gifs from my own computer… I’m using Firefox 81.0.1…

And this seems to be a problem here only. I’ve been able to upload things to other places this morning. And this problem started randomly. when I logged in, I was able to post gifs, etc. I also can’t copy and paste images here.

5 Likes

You’ve done all of the usual “turn it off and back on again” stuff?

4 Likes

The only thing I have not done is log out of the BBS and log back in. Let me try that.

Also, just discovered I can’t quote people (though I can still copy and paste other comments manually).

5 Likes

Firefox here too. A day or two back it was mucking about. It was trying to upgrade. I quit it and restored it. All fine. Hope that helps. But I’m not a computer expert, by any ruddy stretch.

2 Likes

I logged out and back in, and still no joy… :frowning: I can do emojis manually, too.

I quit it and restored it.

I’ll try that next…?

4 Likes

Still nope.

4 Likes

A quick search of meta.discourse.org didn’t turn up any obvious new Firefox issues (or issues with the image features in general). Sorry :frowning:

7 Likes

That sucks. Have you tried rebooting computer itself?

(I do not want to sound like some telephone engineer. I am not IT crowd.)

4 Likes

(I do not want to sound like some telephone engineer. I am not IT crowd.)

I would post the proper gif, but… you know…

I guess I’ll give that whirl next, I tried a refresh of the browser and nada…

5 Likes

I’m thinking it might be browser issues, because I can’t reproduce the errors, and I access the BBS from a tablet using its native browser (Samsung-- Chromium mod.) Or maybe because I don’t log off between sessions?

4 Likes

Neither do I usually? I think you’re probably correct about the browser being the issue.

Is anyone else using the firefox instance I’m on having similar issues?

Thanks, @orenwolf

4 Likes

Is your mouse or keyboard wireless?

1 Like