Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

I am also unable to upload photos (JPEG or GIF) from Firefox, so I move to Safari for the image, then back to Firefox for the rest of my posting and reading needs. I do use uMatrix and Privacy Badger, but I’m not blocking very much from BB. I assumed it was me, until I read your posts.

I’m on 101.0.1, and tried again just now, same outcome (an error). And, FWIW, I’m on a Mac.

2 Likes

Nope…

Do you want live notifications when people reply to your posts?

I’m on 101.0.1, and tried again just now, same outcome (an error).

I don’t even get an error message, it just won’t come through… but we’re on different versions (I’m using the ancient 81.0.1 version). I’m on a fedora machine, a lenovo lappy.

2 Likes

I’m on 100.02 or something.
My top-right menu wants me to restart to update Firefox.
Haven’t bothered for a week.
By coincidence, am also on Lenovo Lappy.

1 Like

Datapoint: Using Firefox 101.0.1, on a Mac running Monterrey. I haven’t logged out in a while. Wireless mouse, wireless keyboard. No problems.

2 Likes

So, it seems several of us are running different instances for FF, but only @cleveremi and I seem to be having issues, though we have different set ups and different versions of FF. Mine is not asking for an update… I’m not on wireless mouse/keyboard, and this is not a problem for me anywhere else I’ve tried.

3 Likes

My recommendation is to start a topic on meta.discourse.org about this - because if there’s a FF issue, it’s quite possible that other users on other forums are seeing this as well.

I will send a message to discourse support about it, but they’ll need more incidences of this to really track it down, and meta may give them that.

Lastly, the official policy of Discourse is that only the most recent version of FF is supported (same for Chrome), so if you’re having issues, make sure you’re up-to-date first!

6 Likes

Just a note that I’m on another instance of discourse, and there are no problems along these lines there…

6 Likes

We’re not only ikely running a more recent version of Discourse (Hosted Discourse is actually a totally different release from the public one), but we also likely have plugins and customizations that differ from other sites as well. Additionally, Discourse uses your phones local storage to store parts of the site to make it perform better - you may have a bad/old/beta/broken object cached causing all of this, and it would only affect the BBS.

That’s part of what makes all of this so difficult to track down!

6 Likes

Okay! Thanks for the info.

4 Likes

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Insecure on HBO

7 Likes

I’m using 101.0.1

Looks like you’re on an older version?

4 Likes

I would post a proper gif, but you know… :wink:

6 Likes

We could keep this up all day!

5 Likes

I am, but it’s the most updated version for my OS (which is fedora).

I just posted on meta about it, so we’ll see what happens.

4 Likes

And it was happening on there, too.

3 Likes

bad-place

Just trying this myself because i’m also on Firefox 101.0.1 but not seeing the same issues.

4 Likes

FWIW:

I access the BBS from about 8 different devices, depending on where I am, all of which are Mac-based and all of which use Firefox to access the BBS except the iPad. Because of the ages and types of the different devices – desktops, laptop, phone, and iPad – they are running different versions of Firefox. I am not experiencing your issues on any of them.

4 Likes

Okay. I only access it on my lappy… Are you running 81.0.1 (64-bit) on any of them? Or what @cleveremi is running (as they seem to be the only other person seeing this problem).

4 Likes

By definition, I can only check the devices in my immediate area at this moment, and they all seem to be running the newest Firefox.

I doubt the other desktops would be that far behind in updating, however, as they are Mac computers. I think the versions vary when you get to phones, tablets, and especially non-Mac versions of those.

4 Likes

Any chance you are using the extension mentioned here?

7 Likes