Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

I am not, no…

4 Likes

Yesterday (using FF 78.15.0esr, macos) I could not quote other posts, but that is working today.
Neither the gif search or upload is working for me though. So seems to be an issue with older firefox browsers (works fine on a different computer using FF 101)

eta: quoting works partially. Creating a post with a quote works, but trying to add a quote to a post does not

4 Likes

I think this ist more of a question for @codinghorror, and the technicalities topic.

1 Like

I’ve let them know. They’ve confirmed the issue and are investigating.

4 Likes

Related-ish issue: when a Onebox can’t fetch a favicon for whatever reason, the results are… ugly:

Compare to a good fetch:

4 Likes

Not really a critical question, but more of a curiosity, history-wise. I noticed that a whole lotta folks had cake days yesterday and today. June 27 and 28 and 95% of them are 2013. Many of those people are our strongest contributors, which made it more noticeable to me.

Was there a batch-add or some membership conversion on June 27 and 28 2013? Or was that just an exceptionally auspicious day for new members in the history of BoingBoing?

7 Likes

isn’t that when the hosting platform changed from (disqus? i think) to the current?

11 Likes

I believe that’s the case, yes.

8 Likes

That makes sense.

6 Likes

I think it happened a little before that, but the old system was still running for a while, so maybe the 28th was the absolutely last day one could transfer over.

ETA: my switchover was May 28, 2013. So, I’ll bet there was a one-month parallel before they closed the old stream.

9 Likes

Runners were sent throughout the land on those dates, calling on us happy few to defend the BBS to the last gif and flag. What could honourable mutants do but answer “Aye! We will!”?

12 Likes

And gentlepeople in Disqus now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they are not here
And hold their bandwidth cheap, whilst any speaks
That changed with ye on BBS conversion day!

12 Likes

Whats Up Reaction GIF

10 Likes

Apparently.

It’s okay, you’re in good company. Just make it up by posting a lot.

9 Likes

Check Vw GIF by Volkswagen Financial Services

9 Likes

Quick question.
Why can I not find this thread or the General Mod thread anymore?
I mean on the regular BB.
Found this through a series of links.

ETA, Sorry, meant the Q&A Mod link.
Forget where I am sometimes!

2 Likes

Set it for Tracking (You will see a count of new replies because you are tracking this topic.) rather than Normal (You will be notified if someone mentions your @name or replies to you.).

Under the Share/Bookmark/Reply line.

9 Likes

Thank you.
Muchos helpful.

3 Likes

I have found it useful to set the whole #meta category to Watching for myself

( there is a menu button shaped like a bell on each category page )

9 Likes

@codinghorror etc., any ideas why the second GIF in this post of mine isn’t getting a thumbnail and a “play” overlay? This is the first time since the opt-in animation update that I’ve ever seen a GIF not pick up the feature.

2 Likes