Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Just got a message that a post that I made has been held for moderator approval. Is this a new thing based on content, or am I just special?

1 Like

You must have used one of the contentious words, such as t r o l l

7 Likes

A post about a recently suspended racist judge. I wonder what word triggered it.

3 Likes

If there was nothing actually wrong about the post except word choice, it’ll go through pretty quickly and then we can tell you exactly which word choice messed you up.

7 Likes

I’m going to predict it’s a word describing the bits of snow that fall from the sky.

6 Likes

I bet you’re right. That happened to me once, when I was talking about winter in Minnesota.

8 Likes

Testing

Rain hail sleet

13 Likes

Don’t forget graupel!

11 Likes

Megacryometeors?

10 Likes

Gawdspit

1 Like

What is the significance of the color of a discussion’s post count? It doesn’t necessarily correspond to the numeric value. I get how the unread posts formatting works (even though it doesn’t always manifest for discussions I’ve been reading; maybe that has to do with whether I’ve posted there).
Here’s an example of two different shades of 50,

5 Likes

It tells you about the like to post ratio in that topic. Hover over the number to see:

(on my screen)
It’s grey for simply the number of replies in the topic.
Brownish-orange for topics with a high like to post ratio.
Orange for topics with a very high like to post ratio.
Bright orange for topics with an extremely high like to post ratio.

14 Likes

Ah ok, maybe I would have figured that out if not for visiting here exclusively on mobile.

7 Likes

Now that you know, you can be sure to visit the topics with high like to post ratios, so you can keep up with the In Crowd :wink: Or with the Very Innest Crowd. Or the Extremely Innest Crowd. :wink:

Joking aside, I do think about that metric sometimes. I’m curious: How do people here make use of the like-to-post-ratio info?

8 Likes

I didn’t even realize that’s why the numbers were orange.

8 Likes

Never knew it was a thing.

8 Likes

Had no idea thats what it was.

Once upon a time I had asked for a way to hide the like count. I’d rather not know

6 Likes

Did the gif widget go away? I don’t see it anymore… it used to be between the calendar widget and the gear widget at the end. :thinking:

6 Likes

Whoa, I just used this yesterday! Poof.

Also, the image that links to the main BoingBoing site has been broken since last night:

Did we just get an update or something?

5 Likes

Mine looks okay right now, but lately, I keep seeing gifs (like in the gif conversation thread) show up like that…

@codinghorror? @orenwolf?

Okay… now it’s back? How strange…

Still seeing the broken image link?

5 Likes