Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Gotta be a Discourse hosting thing. If it persists, let me know!

6 Likes

Can do! Thanks!

3 Likes

When I tried to open it in a separate tab yesterday it created a “403 Forbidden” error page instead

I’d just disabled a bunch of stuff on this device that I don’t use and I thought maybe I’d broken some crypto thing the browser needed, but the image is back now so I guess not

4 Likes

Did something weird happen to the BBS first-message #boing post previews in the recent update? They look different in a way I can’t put my finger on.

And sometimes the “Show full post” button doesn’t appear at all:

2 Likes

I guess this is more of a question about the blog than the BBS, but what happened to the BB article called “Back in 1982, “Hee Haw” welcomed its first black cast member with racism”? Posted yesterday and still visible in the search results.

2 Likes

It’s not a real story, it was from a hoax/joke site

Presumably it was reblogged by mistake

1 Like

Ah, I found it.

No wonder it was withdrawn, as the so-called “fact” about the show was itself incredibly offensive and also completely bogus.

1 Like

Since the bad ad link no longer seems to work, I’m gonna post this here… I went to the main page and saw this ad:

I know there have been other weird ones, for things like t-shirt companies that advocate for violence against “the libs” and what not. Not sure who to tell here, but I figure I’d post it here to see if we can get some traction on this. I doubt that BB would like to support the former insurrectionist in chief or to support companies that support him.

18 Likes

Ok, this may be a silly question, but you know how you get a big cake icon on your birthday and a smaller slice of cake on the anniversary of joining the BBS? What if you just so happened to join the BBS on your birthday? Would you get both icons, or would it cause the universe to collapse in on itself?

6 Likes

I just tried it. I opened a new account with my birthday set to today.

Oh look, the stars are all winking out, one by one…

16 Likes

That’s a really good idea, we should put an easter egg in for this specific case :egg:

14 Likes

I propose the creation of a new special/occasional badge here on the bbs, perhaps called “I did it, so you don’t have to” or something like that.

Inspired by @iknownuurthing’s experiment with making and eating a toast sandwich, and other bbsers who go that extra step to gather more information IRL and report back to us here :smiley:

11 Likes

Love it.
But I have yet to report back on the marmite version, the jam version, the cheese and marmalade combo.
I have munch research to do, as you see.

ETA: Meant to say MUCH research, but, nah, leaving it as is.

18 Likes

Sometimes, the typo is an improvement.

14 Likes

This is now fixed, as well as the ugly “broken chain” when images can’t be fetched. cc @wazroth

14 Likes

Huzzah!

4 Likes

I see you’ve seen the CCBOD - the Circular Comments Button of Doom!

10 Likes

tophat-biggrin Yeah - what’s sposed to be the link to the comments section re?directs to the article, so I visit the BBS page and find it there. It’s only certain authors’ stuff that does it. Today’s front page yields bad linkage from all articles by Nealy (they always are in my experience), and Ms Sandlin’s one re: dr oz.

Thanks as always for your kind attention.

3 Likes

I had this problem and it was one of my uBlock Origin blocklists for blocking social links. I think the comments link was a casualty of the class name used for the wrapping div. I just disabled that particular blocking list and the comments links came back.

5 Likes

Fixed only for Guardian articles? This WaPo link still has the chain.

5 Likes