Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Is the BB front page down for every one or just me?

eta: seems to be back up, nevermind

1 Like

Is there a way to view a single post?

I use a screen reader quite often on mobile (e.g., Google Assistant and Android’s reading mode), and I would especially like to use this on the HCR posts @milliefink shares with us. The screen readers always get confused and start somewhere in the topic, and finding the post I want to have read aloud (sometimes more than just the last) is a pain l

3 Likes

BB has a front page?

4 Likes

And it’s back. I really shouldn’t be able to type five or six words ahead of their display.

ETA: It looks related to how long I have a BBS window open. If I close it and reopen it, typing goes back to normal. Possible memory leak or something @codinghorror?

3 Likes

Thought I’d cross-post here as it seems like a bug:

4 Likes

What is going on with this onebox?

1 Like

Test:

Weird!

4 Likes

Seems to be a MediaWiki issue – not the BBS

4 Likes

Anybody else have the issue that if they click on a video title from the embedded video on bbs to watch it on YouTube, they get a “YouTube refused to connect” error? I can get to youtube.com directly, or even use the “share” button and paste in the shortened link, but the title link is blocked. I assume it’s something with my local settings, except that youtube clearly isn’t blocked, just links of that format with the referrer uri in the link.

3 Likes

The list of people disappointed with boingboing seems to be access-restricted now, which is very disappointing. Is it no longer available? When’s the last time it was used?

10 Likes

Truly disappointing

8 Likes

This has been happening to me too! I think it must have something to do with referrers or headers or something. My experience is the same as yours – if I manually copy the URL into a new tab it works fine, but if it gets referred then it often doesn’t work.

4 Likes

… the archive.org snapshots are no good either

but somebody saved a copy from ten years ago

People-who-are-disappointed-with-Boing-Boing-Google-Drive.pdf (73.2 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks! I was able to get the archive.org snapshot to work, sort of. Looks like it hasn’t been updated since late 2015 or so.

3 Likes

So I see the 10 year anniversary badge is called “BBS Decennial” in a break from the naval rank tradition. Still, we have a big officer corps here:

But have we ever figured out what the BBS fleet looks like? Does it travel through sea? air? space? time? ■■■■■?

3 Likes

I was surprised today - at first I thought I had found a secret button between the portrait icons and the replies number, but it’s just the whole replies column that’s clickable. (pops up buttons for first and last post and their time) How long has this been there? (probably forever ago)

7 Likes

Oh, neat, I’d never noticed that either! No idea how long it’s been around.

5 Likes

Looks like One Box for Ars is broken @codinghorror, not sure who’s side it’s on.

The links are showing up as Financial Times subscriber links.

ETA Trying with a different one on a hunch after reading some comments.

OK, It’s not Ars, it’s the specific article.

2 Likes

Lately I’ve noticed that a good number of users’ cards now say “This user is no longer active.” For an example, the user at post #2 in this topic:

I assume it’s a new clean-up effort. I’m guessing that it’s set to automatically kick in now? If so, then I’m wondering, at what point would it kick in? How long could I be absent without my account here being switched to inactive status? Could it be made active again or would one have to start a new account? I don’t really expect it to happen to me, but I do sometimes think of going on an “internet fast”…

(If this has already been asked/answered somewhere, perhaps someone would point me to it)

3 Likes

It improves privacy a little bit I guess

Clicking on @farnaby shows us nothing but we can still manually enter the URL bbs.boingboing.net/u/farnaby

5 Likes