Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Oho! Good work. I did not think of doing that.

So that seems as if the account isn’t closed after all, just that bbs isn’t updating the stats on the user card at this point (presumably because there just hasn’t been any recent activity to update it with). Interesting!

3 Likes

That is indeed weird :thinking: We’ll have a look :mag:

EDIT: the onebox is following the canonical link, which points to the paywalled article on FT. Most of the time, this is the “technically correct” behaviour, but in this instance the canonical link is “less open”.

7 Likes

Hi, can I ask people to stop posting tweets? Not because Lone Skum is a fascist enabling arsehole but simply because I can’t see them. The video won’t work.

Or at least if you do post a video from Twitter could you describe it? Screen caps work for normal tweets best for me.

14 Likes

Star Wars Salute GIF

9 Likes

… “Originally published at” disappears

7 Likes

Thank you. Keep the feedback coming! We’re listening. We live on the same street as you, and as good neighbors, we also like to tidy things up for the whole neighborhood, heck maybe even the whole town :wink:

7 Likes

How come when I’m watching an embedded YouTube video here, and I want subtitles, and I want them translated, when I click on Auto-translate the page will jump back to an earlier reply, while the video keeps playing? Then I have to scroll back down to the reply with the video in it. I can’t say whether it happens every time, but it happens to me a lot.

Just now it jumped back 15 replies, when I clicked for Auto-translate in this video.

4 Likes

I get that jumping around a lot, too. Not just with YouTube. And, mostly when reading on an iPad.

4 Likes

I get some jumping around when reading (on desktop) which I think is mostly related to the dynamic content loading/unloading. If I’ve unfolded some quoted posts in the context of a reply, and then I scroll enough to cause content to load or unload, the on-page scroll placement gets very confused.

(I had never experienced it before, but I was also able to replicate @zfirphdn’s YouTube quirk. Chromium-flavored browser on PC.)

4 Likes

It happens consistently to me when I am replying to a comment, using my iPad. I click the reply button, there’s a bit of a jump upwards. I type my reply and click the final “reply” and it jumps up a bunch of replies. Sometimes as many as 75-80 of them.

3 Likes

I’ve been noticing that more and more, especially on my iPad, on sites where my protections keep most ads and trackers at bay but there are still various attempts to load: I think the page basically reloads every time that happens. Double-checking my protections and blocking more and more elements on the page helps a lot, but that’s on my laptop, whereas I can’t do it so minutely on my iPad.

4 Likes

When you write “more and more,” I assume this means it’s recent? ± six months?

3 Likes

I would say it has increased substantially in the last month or so.

5 Likes

That’s my experience as well.

4 Likes

This might be a dumb question:

How to I quote an author of the article I am responding to?

I (sort of) know how to quote posters, but not the authors.

3 Likes

Selecting text in the Original Post and clicking the “Quote” button should work just the same as it does for any reply.

4 Likes

It does not work for me. I select text and nothing special appears.

2 Likes

Are you doing it on the BoingBoing site, or on the echo on the BBS here?

3 Likes

Both: I copy the text I want to quote on the main (public) page and try to quote it internally.

2 Likes

I don’t know what that is

2 Likes