Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

… it’s not just you :disappointed:

2 Likes

Ddos?

When quoting an article, I normally use markdown. Recently, I’ve started using html when quoting longer sections of an article. Sometimes this works as expected. Other times two paragraphs will be combined into one. I haven’t really tested it, but it seems to occur when the article text I’ve copied contains a link. I’m able to fix this by wrapping a paragraph in a p-tag. It’s not a big deal, but can anyone offer me a technical explanation of why this occurs?

2 Likes

Is there a way to see the edit history of thread titles? Specifically, I’m wondering if all the titles on the joke thread are accessible somewhere

8 Likes

I’m guessing we all knew which title you were referring to!

11 Likes

Hey look! Brian is for sale:

13 Likes

Sigmund Freud bibliography - Wikipedia

7 Likes

i noticed an issue today that’s maybe always been a thing?

when you visit a post from the bbs side of things, and click “show more” – except for the main boingboing folks – it only ever says “bb contributor”

however , if you’re coming from the main site, or if you click the link and go to the original post, then it does say the author’s name

don’t know if it’s a known issue or not, but it’d definitely be nice to be able to see who wrote the article more immediately from the bbs side

@orenwolf maybe?

5 Likes

It’s been that way for quite some time.

7 Likes

cool, thanks for the double check. it’s the kind of thing - that for me - i “notice” without really “seeing”… until suddenly i do. i thought i’d mention it in case the powers that be also know without necessarily really knowing.

6 Likes

Not all BB contributors have BBS accounts. It’s two separate systems.

4 Likes

As I recall, the main site is a WordPress one with the connection to the Discourse BBS enabled by what seems to be a very janky plugin.

I also suspect that at least one of the generic Contributors maintains what is effectively a sock puppet to further drive engagement with their articles on the BBS.

5 Likes

sure, but their name could be injected into the post content at the end.

– gatto.

8 Likes

Are the reactions pretty well settled? If not, I would appreciate a :fire: addition.

If something needs to be removed to make room, I would hesitantly suggest the facepalm. I used it a week or so back in a not-constructive manner. I regret it. I’ve also seen it used on the regular by others in a non-constructive way.

6 Likes

Also…

11 Likes

Oh yeah, of course! That is a higher priority for sure

4 Likes

You wish.
So do I, as it happens, as there have been some blinders there.

I, for one, would not admit to a damn thing.

Oh, yes. Some find it wonderfully annoying, some lose the wonderfully bit.

That’s just brilliant, and explains a lot of the titles, thanks.

I too wouldn’t mind seeing the history of the titles, as there were some good back-and-forths there, but not at the risk of anyone losing their anonymity. cough

2 Likes

Has the BBS changed its fonts? The weight and spacing feels different today.

2 Likes

The Inspector informs me that it’s --font-family: Ariel, sans-serif, which is pretty basic, and doesn’t seem like the sort of thing which would get fiddled with often.

You haven’t accidentally zoomed in or something in your browser?

3 Likes

I am glad you mentioned that. Certainly a difference today.