Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Is anyone else having the same problem? Its still happening for me.

4 Likes

I don’t seem to be having that issue? Anyone else?

5 Likes

I’m not sure I understand? If you’re asking what I think you’re asking, I haven’t noticed anything differently. If I access the side panel, it stays open until I close it or click on one of the notifications. Hope this helps!

4 Likes

If I have notifications and click to open the side panel it will close immediately, unless I am at a top level menu.

If I dont have notifications the panel stays open

5 Likes

Okay, I got it now. Yeah, I don’t think I have that issue with mine? I just cleared my notifications (there was one right after your notification), closed the side panel, and reopened it. It still stays open, but I’m responding to you so maybe that’s why it’s still open?

eta: I feel like I’m not helping. :grin:

1 Like

Not seeing this issue either. Notification menu seems to work fine for wherever. Chrome 120.0.6099.234 on OS X 12.5.1.

2 Likes

Here’s a video. Couldn’t convert mp4 to a BoingBoing-supported format

Really bloody annoying

8 Likes

When viewing a list of topics, what does the color of the number of posts indicate? Why orange sometimes?

Also, sometimes when scrolling down, some of the topics seem highlighted in blue briefly.

3 Likes

On Replies, the color indicates the number of likes per post and for Views it indicates how mny views there have been (which I find needlessly redundant)

4 Likes

I think there’s also a time domain and recency element: the higher the number of recent views or comments per time unit, the higher the temperature of the conversation, but even if it got really active there for a while, it will cool off after a while. Or maybe it’s just the peak value of dcomments/dt which sets it, and no recency bias.

4 Likes

Threads that have been closed for years still have Views labeled in orange if the count is high and I’ve never seen a thread with under 1500 Views in color. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

What’s with the random bookmarking? Over the past several months I’ve been notified of “Bookmarks” that I’ve never actually bookmarked. :man_shrugging:

Ghosts?

3 Likes

I have this problem sometimes; I think what’s going on is that I accidentally hit the “B” key when browsing, and then something I do to clear the bookmark modal manages to create a bookmark. I’m not sure of the exact workflow.

3 Likes

In my case they seemingly appear overnight.

Going with ghosts.

5 Likes

Whatever’s going on, it’s been a problem for a while, if my previous posts on this topic are the same issue you’re experiencing:

To be sure, the “I accidentally hit the bookmark shortcut” thing is a complete guess; I know I occasionally do that, and I know I occasionally get ghost bookmarks, but I couldn’t guarantee the two are related.

5 Likes

Not related, but have the changed the font on boing boing?

3 Likes

my eyes have certainly noticed a difference.
a small difference

3 Likes

Has anybody else had problems with BBS loading? There’s about a 20% chance that it’ll just not load when clicking a topic or as I found in this topic, scrolling to the end via the post count. I’m also getting random draft errors or errors about the comment being edited in another window when I have only one window open.

Firefox on Windows, when this occurs it’s usually still the “reload” button rather than the “stop” button so Firefox thinks the page is done.

8 Likes

Yes, to all of the above.

Android 14

2 Likes

Me as well!

2 Likes