Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Yeah, in Preferences. That said, like @MrShiv above, mine doesn’t even show the option.

7 Likes

I do not have it either… :thinking:

8 Likes

I have it on mobile firefox, not on desktop. I tried scaling down my browser window on desktop and it didn’t show, so it’s probably User Agent specific.

5 Likes

Yes, got the IPs from the Discourse team to allowlist yesterday, all fixed!

19 Likes

I didn’t know where to drop this utterly delightful bit of news:

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

11 Likes

Well, I guess I won’t be using Chrome in the future, then.

10 Likes

Took 'em long enough. I dropped Chrome when Manifest v3 was originally announced oh so many years ago.

Still happily using uBlock Origin on Firefox. Especially on mobile.

8 Likes

I only ever use chrome when I want to add/edit a comment on something in an amazOMG wishlist. The amazOMG help desk told me I needed to download the app to make it work in FF, and well, fuck that.

I’m running windoze 7. This version of chrome is so old, there’s a message across the width of my screen telling me I need to update my OS to update chrome whenever I open it. Yeah, no. That’s not gonna happen. This machine is a retired school laptop which also needs a bigger, newer chip! LOL I can’t use my video conversion software, and can’t even convert mp4s to m4vs online.

I imagine my archaic setup may well defeat Gogol’s attempt to defeat UBO in chrome!

Here’s the comment I added when I entumblr’d this story:

“This extension may soon no longer be supported because it doesn’t follow best practices for Chrome extensions.”

Gogol’s nonsense y00t00b message re: extensions who block ads on yt is V similar. Gogol is an advertising corporation, and all they want to do is steal your info and force you to look at ads. chrome is their favorite way of doing that, yet more people use that POS browser than any other. Wake TF up and start using Firefox.

9 Likes

… additional Firefox variants

6 Likes

Moments ago, I tried my hand at nesting replies and it didn’t work as I wanted. Is there a null thread here to practice on?

I wanted to nest replies from two users into my reply so as I could address both, but my results were messy.

1 Like

I just read that post, and sure enough you are asking about it here. Honestly, your post seemed just fine. But were you instead trying to do something like (apologies to ficuswhisperer and anothernewbbaccount),

If so, i only highlighted the whole thing and clicked the quote popup button. Here’s what the raw text looks like,

6 Likes

Ah, so instead of clicking on “Reply”, use Reply, then Quote for the nested users?

3 Likes

I think the first quote will automatically reply to that comment.

4 Likes

Is it possible to reorder bookmarks so that the ones you want appear in the image->bookmark menu?

6 Likes

An ignored user’s posts still occ’lly appear. On reloading, the post is gone, and the “view 1 hidden reply” msg is there.

2 Likes

Washington Post links are no longer oneboxing, e.g.:

https://wapo.st/3SS4SZf

This might be due to something that WaPo did to their website, but I offer this in case there’s a way to tell whether it’s them or Discourse/BBS.

I went to iFramely to test the link (as per this Discourse page); it didn’t offer any feedback about the link itself but, instead, gave me this code which doesn’t do anything here:
<div class="iframely-embed"><div class="iframely-responsive" style="padding-bottom: 65.3472%; padding-top: 120px;"><a href="https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/08/14/youngkin-trump-project-2025/" data-iframely-url="//iframely.net/CScb1CT"></a></div></div><script async src="//iframely.net/embed.js"></script>

3 Likes

As another datapoint, they do onebox in Slack.

1 Like

Just testing some shit. I wish this gave me

WYSIWYG

as I type.

1 Like

It does when you enable the preview window, which will be displayed to the right of the editing window.

Click on the little >> icon to open the preview window and on << to close it.

in the manual

11 Likes

manual5

9 Likes