Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

6 Likes

Preview icon >> ?

4 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Wow, there’s no preview window in mobile? It’s one of the best features of the bbs

3 Likes

Ah, now I get it!
It does work on mobile devices; I’m usually on an Android tablet & Brave, sometimes on an Android phone & Brave - but I have “show desktop version” enabled.

Screenshot from phone:

Sorry about the confusion!

ETA:

7 Likes

That monitor icon is the preview button, on the mobile version. But sometimes it wraps around to the next line and I’ll think that it’s missing (same with some of the editing icons; with mobile, I have to swipe right to see some of them)

5 Likes

Discourse Bug/Glitch Report (?)

@codinghorror

(Not sure whether this thread is the right spot to report this - (mods please move if there’s a better place)).

Lately, have been observing a weird effect that occurs when scrolling down a thread where the apparent position jumps up inexplicably - it’s very quick and often hard to even notice, just a sudden repositioning of the post-view.

For me this is happening on Firefox, on multiple systems (Win10/Win11) - not sure yet if it’s correlated with new posts being added to the thread - but it’s definitely a new development, (added posts never altered the position of the view before). I’ve sort of ignored it for a while (a couple of weeks?) - but just noticed the same happening on another (non-BB) Discourse instance and decided to report.

9 Likes

Another maybe-here-but-not-sure thing… A video-devoted ad frame populates over text content on all main post pages across the past three versions of Chrome and on three different Android devices (6a, 7, and 8a) regardless of OS version or account. Not a single specific ad-- seems to be an element behavior. Just throwing it out there!

3 Likes

No issue using Brave browser.

4 Likes

sounds similar to this…

5 Likes

Indeed - that sounds like the same. Interesting that it appears to be widespread across platforms/browsers. I believe I’ve seen it both with laptop navigation, i.e. touchpad two-finger scrolling and spacebar-scroll on desktop.

4 Likes

i don’t think i’ve seen it with spacebar scrolling on mac/firefox yet.

my technique has become: use space bar to scroll down a couple times ( to load the posts ) then two-finger scroll back up and back down to read them. ( i’ve tried the manual scrollbar, and that maybe works better than the two-finger scroll down; but eventually it still seems to jump… thanks to @zfirphdn for showing me how to enable mac scrollbars! )

or, honestly, i just go find my phone. :blush:

4 Likes

I have noticed this behavior (relatively recently for myself) in Firefox with touchpad gesture scrolling. This is different than the Chrome behavior that I’ve previously mentioned in this discussion. The Chrome behavior definitely has the feel of “content loading/unloading” whereas this seems like some kind of scroll position calculation is going funny and jumping the scrollbar around.

4 Likes

i wonder if they’re related at all: loading probably has to determine how much you can see; same for regular scrolling maybe?

( i noticed it around the time of the new view/like/links footer. and was vaguely wondering if it’s not being accounted for, or accounted for incorrectly )

3 Likes

Yeah, I suspect they’re distinct issues; since I’d never experienced the Firefox issue when it first came up I’d assumed they were related (or even the same issue). But now I’ve experienced both and they definitely present very differently, so I agree with the hypothesis that they’re not directly related.

2 Likes