? ❓ ⚛ Questions. Questions? QUESTIONS!? ⚛ ❓?

Although, to be fair, Perth is pushing 2 million in population, whereas the city (not the entire county) of Honolulu is less than 400 thousand. That makes Perth a pinnacle rather than a hill surrounded by valleys.

5 Likes

What’s this thread again?

If you set a population of 1 million as the threshold, isn’t Auckland to Sydney further than Perth to Adelaide?

Can we just blame Bill Bryson?

11 Likes

How did I miss this!!!

Aren’t my Donald mistakes few and far between though, at least?

10 Likes

This is a technicality, like saying that the City of London has a population of only 7000; while Waikiki (for example) is technically not the City of Honolulu, doesn’t the fact that it doesn’t have its own government mean that it is for all intents and purposes part of the city?

4 Likes

Don’t you remember who you’re talking to? The city of Chicago doesn’t get to count the very high percentage of people who think of themselves as being from Chicago, and work/play there, but officially live in a suburb…you know that, right?

(I was just trying to make sure I was comparing apples to apples, that’s all.)

3 Likes

Yes, but in Chicago do you only count the Loop as Chicago, and does Evanston have its own mayor? (The distinction between “city” and “county” in Honolulu is not the same thing as the distinction between Chicago and Chicagoland, or even the same thing as LA and LA County. It is an informal division, at best a census county division.)

Oh, that 2 million figure for Perth? That’s only for “Greater Perth,” isn’t it? (The City of Perth - consisting of the city center and some surrounding suburbs - is around 22,000. So, if we’re going to compare apples and apples, Honolulu has around 40 times the population of Perth, or only 15 times the population of Perth using the weird informal definition of Honolulu’s “apple.”)

(ETA: Edited to replace facts with questions as per @zfirphdn’s rebuke; note am adopting the terrible practice of not requiring parenthetical remarks to be questions.)

6 Likes

You don’t say :question::grey_question::question::grey_question::question:

8 Likes

Can I apologize for my two posts today that weren’t questions…at least at first? And blame (a) early AM phone calls both yesterday and today (why do people on the West Coast assume they’re in the earliest US time zone?), and (b) a late night spent grading papers while watching Bollywood movie, a confusing combination? And can I leave you with this?

9 Likes

What’s so terrible about a time-honored tradition?

4 Likes

And what’s so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

4 Likes

The lack of an Oxford comma?

Oh, you didn’t mean funny-peculiar?

8 Likes

Andy Zaltzman is doing a gig in Seattle?

1 Like

Anyone ever spend a few hours working on something, then wonder if maybe they were maybe a little insane to spend quite this much time on an art nouveau rendering of their pet wearing a little Mickey hat?

11 Likes

Is it weird that I was annoyed with myself for working on an art nouveau rendering of my pet wearing a little Mickey hat, when I was intending to be working more on a small Viking axe and shield for my hedgehog today?

9 Likes

Aren’t I surprised to learn about those details, as I checked multiple sources and every one made a point of distinguishing Honolulu the city so I thought there was a reason for it? And none did the same for Perth, so again I assumed the number range was accurate?

Is Perth really that small?

And wasn’t my point in total agreement (as it turns out) with what you’re saying, that measurement of population seems very arbitrary from one polity to the next, so comparisons are fraught with complications?

4 Likes

Why isn’t it possible to text someone a scurry of rabid squirrels?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t you use a facsimile machine?

1 Like

Don’t I often wish for phone spiders?

2 Likes

Couldn’t I do it that way? But don’t I really want them to jump out of the idiot’s phone, since he seems to be so attached to it? I wouldn’t want to give rabies to any innocent bystanders, would I?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, wouldn’t that be excellent???

Why yes, I am an arachnophobe, but I wear a hearing aid so they wouldn’t be crawling into my ear, would they?

2 Likes