r/AskHistorians checks the veracity of Eminem lyrics

Originally published at: r/AskHistorians checks the veracity of Eminem lyrics | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The author does not mention two white rappers that had beef with Eminem around that time, Evidence (of Dilated Peoples) and Cage.

Cage seemed to think Eminem bit his style, and Eminem said something about Evidence that caused him to release the Em diss track " Searching 4 Bobby Fisher" around the same time “Real Slim Shady” came out. I guess Everlast also had some involvement with that beef too, so there we have three white rappers (if their skin color is all that matters-- none were bleach blondes) involved in some kind of Eminem beef around 2000.

Perhaps that’s not what Eminem is referencing in the song, but underground hip-hop at the time was based on beefs and battling and every MC since the beginning claimed their rhymes were being stolen by other rappers. If not for the stunt where a horde of lookalike Eminems appeared in the crowd at the 2000 VMAs probably nobody would have paid the idea any mind.

4 Likes
11 Likes

I just want to know… is there is isin’t there a Mekhi Phifer??

What about ICP?? Do they count?

Though IIRC they pre-date Eminem.

4 Likes

I don’t think Eminem ever thought ICP was copying him, but they did have some weird homophobic beef.

But that is probably because ICP has never gotten much respect from the rest of the hip hop world, after all, they are literally a bunch of clowns.

5 Likes

Now they hang with Vanilla Ice, right? So Legit.

1 Like

burns

3 Likes

Eminem and ICP definitely had a long-running beef going - they are both Detroit-area white rappers that were active at the same time. It was inevitable.

The story goes that when Eminem was up and coming that he tried to get ICP to appear at a party he was performing at and they told him to fuck right off. This kicked off a weirdly homophobic feud that went on for years. Eminem had a track where he claimed that him and other members of D12 chased ICP out of a club and shot their van with paintballs. ICP came back with a parody of “My Name Is…” called “Slim Anus” (which I always found odd phrasing given the homophobic slant of their attacks). They had numerous back and forth diss tracks over the years along with some real life altercations.

In 2005, the late Proof of D12 finally ended the feud with a bowling match between the two crews. (This is not a joke.)

4 Likes

Legit GIF

Anyways… long live king of the white rappers EL-P…

glastonbury festival 2017 GIF by Run The Jewels

yeah, El, I’ll say…

3 Likes
4 Likes

I mean… he’s fine… But… come on… RTJ is carrying the torch of 80s socially conscious hip hop, for sure… which is where my heart is with hip hop, if I’m being honest.

And El writes much of the beatz… This song is a banger, as the kids say… a bop if you will. I have yet to get a RTJ album that disappoints…

#askthishistorianherhiphopopines!

2 Likes

3rd Bass was another of the all time great white hip-hop groups. Sadly they only released 2 albums and have since largely faded into obscurity which is a shame because they were really good.

(Also notable for being the first recording appearance of the late MF Doom performing under the name Zev Love X.)

1 Like

I haven’t heard that co-lab, but I don’t follow ICP that closely.

I did like it when Vanilla Ice did a track with Jimmy Pop and the Bloodhound Gang.

5 Likes

I will see your Vanilla Ice and raise you a Riff Raff :wink:

1 Like

Yeah…
What about the juggalos?

1 Like

They seem to be pretty cool, actually.

https://itsgoingdown.org/our-antifa-crew-marched-with-juggalos-heres-what-happened/

5 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.