R. Crumb made a delightful yoga mat in memory of his wife Aline

Originally published at: R. Crumb made a delightful yoga mat in memory of his wife Aline | Boing Boing

7 Likes

17 Likes

Kinda crumby that he outlived her. :cry:

7 Likes

Looks like Aline did two panels (I know her style) and inserted herself in others. She and Robert were the only comic duos I know of.

8 Likes

But it’s so cool because it’s not only a conversation between the two (is that R. talking with her?), but also artwork sharing the same space!

10 Likes

Yes it is R. They did a lot of that drawing together, much of it for the NYer.

6 Likes

That’s really cool and neat. A sweet gesture and a beautiful tribute.

But I do wish people would stop using the greenwashing term “vegan leather”. It’s plastic. Petroleum-based plastic. It might not be derived directly from the killing of animals, but the mind-melting logic behind plastic being vegan friendly is… well, mind-melting. Anyone heard of the major extinction event currently happening? Call it pleather, call it PU (polyurethane) leather, but don’t call it vegan leather, please.

5 Likes

I’m not saying it is but what if it’s cactus leather or plant based raw material manufactured PU/plastics? Plastics surely can be vegan friendly depending on their origins, it’s not all petroleum based. Maybe just need stricter use of the terms or a different term for the origins of raw materials.

1 Like

I want this just as a wall hanging.

1 Like

A simple test for this: anything made from a vegetable source will inevitably be heavily marketed as being so, as that allows for a higher price or the impression of selling a more premium product. Unless you’re being very specifically sold the idea that the plastics in question are more environmentally friendly (typically through “made from upcycled mango skins/avocado pits/octopus gallstones/whatever” narratives). they’re plain old petrochemicals. And sadly for most plant-based plastics all the other environmental issues of plastics persist, such as their slow-to-nonexistent breakdown in nature (which are particularly relevant for foams due to their tendency to crumble over time).

DON’T GET ME WRONG. I WASN’T COMPLAINING! :laughing:

What if it’s recycled plastic?

/honestly unsure

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.