Raccoons in a feeding frenzy crowd around man handing out hot dogs

Originally published at: Raccoons in a feeding frenzy crowd around man handing out hot dogs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is seriously my favorite youtube video of all time. I watch it when I’m depressed, and I want to be this guy when I grow up.

5 Likes

He’s been doing this for a while now.

They were less “rotund” before.

6 Likes

“Don’t try this at home” warning:

• They’re only friendly as long as the food lasts
  • Raccoons [1] host pathogens that can be harmful to humans Their communal latrines are a feature in that they don’t scatter waste all over the area but also pose a threat to humans cleaning them out without proper protection.

[1] And I love them, too.

13 Likes

I dove down a rabbit hole and watched a dozen of his videos one day.

I have seen a handful of racconos around my apt. They sometimes slink down the storm drain.

3 Likes

The same can be said of me…

11 Likes

His neighbors must love him!

5 Likes

Kind of like the Kardashians…

Kind of like the Kardashians…

2 Likes

What’ya think the hot dogs are made of?

5 Likes

Kardashians = Rotund Trash Pandas

tenor

8 Likes

We feed every kind of wildlife that visits our backyard except raccoons. If one shows up we stop putting food out at night because some of our neighbors already hate us and as mentioned above their toilet can be very dangerous.

We were once contracted to clean out a raccoon nest that included the toilet, we know what we’re doing and suited up with tyvek suits and respirators. It was awful but it made my house payment. The company that contracted us couldn’t understand the safety measures or the bill. Okay, do it yourself.

Several years ago I noticed two of our neighbors were in their garage with a pitchfork, I went over to see what they were up to. They found a few baby raccoons and were going to remove them. I convinced them to stop and I would call someone to remove and relocate them at my expense. The problem isn’t the babies, it’s the mom. They trapped mom first and then removed the babies. Cost me a couple hundred bucks.

I also house sit for a longtime customer when they go to Florida for the winter. They have one of those house that you just can’t believe. A few days before their return the landscapers showed up for spring cleaning, they must have disturbed a raccoon nest because mom relocated the babies to a shrub right outside the door. I built a shelter because they were exposed and gave heads up to the owner. They know us and our love for animals and said no problem. A couple weeks later when they were big enough mom moved on with the kids.

All that being said, if this guy knows what he’s doing and he’s out in the country, God bless him for taking care of that group.

3 Likes

Yeah. I watched a few of these last year, wondering what his neighbors or the county thought of all this. “I don’t know where they all come from” means he just cares about feeding gorbage to animals. He’s mentioned being told off by the county a number of times in these videos.

These really aren’t feel-good when it comes down to it. He’s inflating a local population artificially, and once he stops, this hoard will become a menace for all his neighbors, if it isn’t one already.

4 Likes

I showed my wife, it took her about 30 seconds to join his Facebook group.

I find the videos cute and all, but I half expect one day they’ll find nothing left of him but his clothing and skeleton, a bunch of racoon tracks, and a camera, still rolling.

4 Likes

It’ll be a grim day when the food runs out…

2 Likes

Andrea James Boinged this guy last year:

2 Likes

those are very round racoon… we had neighbors that used to feed the squirrels doughnuts and cookies… in sprint they were still very fat and would climb to the ends of branches to get at the sweet tree sap only to break the branches because of their weight. most would catch themselves before the hit the ground, a few wouldnt… but were so round that would bounce and walk away.

2 Likes

I’m surprised how well-behaved the Racoons are; waiting their turn, and not fighting over their sausages.

1 Like

Our neighbours do exactly the same thing.

Except that instead of hotdogs, they put out their kitchen garbage green bin the afternoon before the next morning’s pickup. On Buffet Night, the raccoons knock over the bins, unhook the “raccoon-proof” lids, take what they want and then it’s a free-for-all for the skunks, coyotes, foxes, etc.

2 Likes

He’s not doing those raccoons any favors. They need to be able to get their own food.

1 Like