Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes, the new DuckTales title sequence is a duck-blur

This theme is maximally over compressed, probably for the tiny shitty speakers that everyone has in every mobile device.

Bummer.

Yes, I like this.

The animation style is a bit of a change, but it’s a great homage to the original comics. and having the entire title sequence as a pursuit of the Number One Dime is a great little shout out.

All in all, it looks like it’s been created by people who love the series and care about where it’s come from, rather than just another quick cash-in reboot.

3 Likes

Fixed.

5 Likes

I was also disappointed with the woo-hoo. The lyrics tend to get drowned by the music in several places as well.

1 Like

you think you’re joking, but…

…please don’t screw this up…please don’t screw this up…please don’t screw this up…

Also, is it too soon to hope for a Darkwing Duck reboot?

3 Likes

I think it’s a prime moment for a Darkwing Duck reboot. Considering it’s a superhero parody, and superhero movies are still very much a huge thing. Disney would be smart to jump on it. At least one would hope.

2 Likes

i have a real complaint that the intro seems to be all about chasing some money, supporting rich uncle scrooge, and in the end: he gets the money back!

that’s a totally different tone than the original intro. there scrooge gets thwarted trying to grab some cash ( which may not even be “his” originally ), while his family is trying to rescue scrooge from his own hyper-focus on money*.

i think the storyboarder just liked the idea of a “continuous shot” that ties the intro into a mini-adventure; but, it really screws with the morality and life-lesson aspects… and that might bleed into the tone of the episodes.

( * i also really like how in the original, monsters often turn out to be friendly. )

1 Like

The money he’s chasing is his Number One Dime, the first dime he ever made, which is often the focus of a lot of misadventures – it’s often stolen or Scrooge ends up chasing it, because without it he feels like he loses his mojo.

If you feel like the original intro is all about Scrooge’s greed and this one is more about everyone going on an adventure with Scrooge, that sounds like a positive change?

1 Like

thanks! i don’t remember much in the way of those details. it’s been a really long time.

i feel like the original intro is about a lot of different things. i wouldn’t say it has one theme, it’s more like snippets of things you can expect from the show. the aspects that deal with money are scrooge precariously trying to grab a dollar, while his family is prioritizing rescuing him. ( and the ending where everyone is happily sitting on a pile of money :confused: )

the new one is focused on chasing down the money and everything falls into that frame.

one thing i do like about the new one – other than the art itself, which i think looks pretty great – is that at time scrooge looks completely demented and evil, and at other times friendly and happy. the changes don’t appear to have rhyme or reason, but still it looked cool. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.