Race, income and outcomes: how rich does a black criminal have to be to get treated like a white one?

At least “Indian” isn’t naming them after a white guy like “Native Americans.”

Okay, technically Italian, but close enough.

5 Likes

Unplugged or on a power strip is neutral. But if you power it with a grid-connected solar array, you’ll actually be making a positive contribution, shortening Parker’s arc.

I just call everyone Jeff, it cuts down on the confusion.

(I spent my formative years growing up with friends in the Confederated Tribes of Siletz. Every person had a different preference on what their group should be called, cause they are individuals with valid opinions. So I simply called them by their name or ‘member of the Siletz nation’. …or Hay Yoo!!)

6 Likes

What color is the flame? We just can’t tell.

3 Likes

HAY YOO! always works for me.

3 Likes

Mea culpa & correction: commenter “Smith” found flaw in my code and $500K is now $90K. Working in the open #FTW. Original article has been updated.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s true.

A good-but-dishonest statistician can twist almost any dataset into any result they want. This is why it’s very important to check the honesty of your statistician. And, as you mention, viewing their methods is one way to do that.

Same goes for ethicists.

3 Likes

In my tribe we call ourselves Reds, just about everyone else Whites (darker, and I mean realyl dark skins are Browns, but we come in contact with only a few of them), and half breeds like me Pink. We are native or indigenous when talking to governments or trying to invoke guilt. Indians are what we call the Reds who are too drunk/drugged to hold down a job and whine about how life sucks.

5 Likes

I just ask, if it seems to matter in the moment. It really almost never does matter, and those moments are few and far between, but when it does, I ask.

“Oh, Western Shoshone, neat”.

I suppose “aboriginal” works in the abstract, though it implies Australian to many.

2 Likes

And, of course, there’s always Marklar.

1 Like

I would love to see this analysis repeated for all 50 US states.

1 Like

What term does your tribe prefer white people use when referring to you? (I guess I’d be OK with using “red” with people who explicitly voiced that preference but AFAIK it’s still considered offensive in many groups/contexts.)

1 Like

It completely depends on their tone or what they want from you or who you ask. It is kind of a joke with us to pretend to be offended by any term if they are belligerent. I pretend to be looking for someone from India if someone calls me an Indian. There really is no internal consensus, but The First People seem to be what many of the elders are preferring.

But like many people with multiple siblings, we will respond to whatever name is called with varying amount of eye rolling and muttering about “whites”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.