Racism via dress code is not uncommon

And if you’re under-dressed but your skin is white you’ll find loaners readily available from the maitre’d, whereas any other color of skin will just get a sad “terribly sorry” smile. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Egads my good man, those are the uncultured nouveau riche’! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No surprise something like this happened in Portland. For all its progressive reputation, the entire state was founded on racism (the state’s charter outlawed black people from living there), it had the nation’s largest KKK chapter in the 20s, and it didn’t ratify the 15th amendment (passed after the civil war in 1870) until 1959.

2 Likes

During my childhood in New Orleans, LA and during my adolescence in Baton Rouge, white-owned businesses and establishments would post a sign on their door fronts that read, “We reserve the right to refuse admission to anyone.” That’s how they reinforced segregation. Now, people are using “dress codes” to keep Jim Crow alive and segregating.

1 Like

There was a garbage sports bar in Chicago that got in a mess for similar shit a few years back. Things like "No basketball sneakers (Jordans, AF1 etc. but Chuck Taylors are fine).

1 Like

I read that similar wording was used in Rhodesia. They were too genteel for explicit signage, unlike their friends in South Africa.

3 Likes

Good activism would be to connect a scanner to a recorder and sit nearby.

1 Like

I was kicked out of a hotel continental breakfast one time while wearing a tuxedo. I was there for a wedding and somehow lost my shoes the night before.

6 Likes

Did you leave yelling, “There are dozens of us! Dozens!”

2 Likes

Someone opened an uptown kind of “social club” in a historically poor neighborhood here in the 70802, then posted a “dress code” on social media that just smacked of Jim Crow and they - deservedly - caught all manner of you know what for it. The younger adults simply aren’t going to tolerate that kind of coded racism.

2 Likes

There’s an affluent, nouveau riche, alrightnik part in my city that’s trying to break away and incorporate itself so it could have its own independent school district. There’s another racket if and of itself.

1 Like

they probably mean walkietalkie. a bunch of places these days use ear pieces or hand helds to communicate between areas of their restaurant/club. i think it’s mainly supposed to make them look cool.

1 Like

The problem with the story in @jlw’s original post isn’t that there’s a dress code, but rather that the owner was a racist and invented ad-hoc codes with which to implement his racism.

In the UK, where school uniforms are far more common than in the US, surveys show that both parents and kids like the uniforms except for the cost:

Family Action says that uniforms are popular with parents because they “like the overall presentation and smartness” and because they hide “income differentials” as all children are dressed the same. It also suggests that most children like them as “they do not need to worry about having the latest fashions” and therefore do not feel under pressure from their peers.

There is no reason why the uniforms need to cost more than any other outfit, it is a matter of will on the part of the school administrators. The current cost of uniforms – I’ve read $250 on average – seems much higher to me than it needs to be.

My kid’s school had a fairly strict dress code – though no uniforms – and it was generally cheap and easy to comply. Some students brought some hipper clothes with them and changed after school.

4 Likes

So you pulled your daughter out of the racist charter school and sent her to the regular public school instead, right?

Please read the original post, or one or two comments further in the thread. That is exactly what we did. She moved to a regular pubic school and the program was great.

7 Likes

In the UK one of the explicit purposes of school uniform is to minimise visible differentials caused by parental affluence. No Nike trainers, no North Face jackets etc etc. But kids whose parents can’t afford uniforms can get grants, and, having just looked, the supermarket Asda will sell you 5 kids shirts, 2 pairs of trousers, school shoes and a blazer for under £50, which shows there are pretty clear financial benefits to widely adopted school uniforms.

2 Likes

i’ve been a public school teacher in texas for 25 years and have taught in three different school districts. i personally attended a fourth. in all the districts, except the one i’m currently in, i personally witnessed white students getting away with anything from minor to pretty flagrant violations of the dress code while black and hispanic students were forced to wait in the front office for someone to bring a change of clothes or spend the day in i.s.s. if no one could come, or be given a change of clothes by the nurse for the day from a selection of clean, donated clothes she had.

personally i thought uniform dress codes were ridiculous in concept, in supposed justifications, and in practice and unless a student was virtually dressed in a shirt that said “fuck your dress code” or showed up in a g-string and pasties i ignored their clothing unless another teacher forced the issue. in every case the white students i sent came back after being told “not to wear it again” while the black and hispanic kids ended up staying until someone brought them a change etc.

it absolutely made me crazy and i complained about it to two different principles and an assistant superintendent and was told in every case to stop rocking the boat. in my current district i’m teaching at the high school. they aren’t nearly so hung up on dress code issues there and because of the intense importance of attendance as a metric they aren’t as punitive either.

8 Likes

Okay, this is not about racism, per se, as we are white, but when we came back from overseas, where our children went to DOD schools, and were told that we had to immediately dress our children in uniforms, we ran to the local stores. It was December. School had started well over three months before. There were no uniforms to be had, except for a few “chubby” sizes. My children were short and skinny and we just didn’t know what to do. (No internet for us back then, btw–it was 20+ years ago) Our household goods had not even arrived, so I purchased needle and thread and did the best that I could. My eldest went to school looking like a stick encased inside of a balloon. We were happy to finally locate a frilly blouse and jumper skirt for the youngest, but she hated it, and it was also way too large. If you are going to require certain attire, it should be available beyond the typical “back to school” sales period. And thank goodness we had the money, as the clothing in our children’s suitcases was unacceptable to the school district. (An out -in-town school district, in a military town, by the way.)

2 Likes

given that the u.s. military is one of the most integrated, multi-racial organizations in american life it’s hard to believe there’s no racist component to something that makes everyday life within the organization more difficult, even if the racist component comes from the motivations for setting the rules in place to begin with. in the school district i worked for the longest a major part of the drive to set up a uniform dress code was panic about gangs coming into the community from dallas. i lobbied every teacher and parent i talked to before we put it into place to vote against it, to no avail, although at 52-48% it was closer than the landslide dress code advocates had expected at first.

3 Likes

Oh I know what they mean, point is anyone could listen in to it.