Teacher suspended after Halloween blackface rap

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/teacher-suspended-after-wearin.html

9 Likes

19 Likes

In all fairness, I hope he did manage to instill a lesson upon his students that day:

Do stupid shit, and there will be ramifications.

13 Likes

Those who fail to learn from history…

18 Likes

What an idiot.

3 Likes

I you are white and want to rap what is the problem? And it can be scarier than the bog standard rap song/video…

(If you ask I have a “The Marshall Mathers LP” cassette. I liked it)

1 Like

Eminem doesn’t paint his face black to perform. It’s treating skin color as a costume that’s the problem. If he’d just rapped, it still would have been cringey, in a Kyle Mooney way, but he wouldn’t have been suspended.

14 Likes

One step further than just using skin color as a costume…it’s a costume with a disgusting history of oppression and racist, caricatured stereotypes.

10 Likes

Not 10 comments yet, so plenty of time for the obligatory apologist for blackface to appear. What will be the excuse made this time?

10 Likes

350px-Northam

“Hey, if a Virginia Governor can get away with it and keep his job…” /XXL s

9 Likes

you’d think at this point people would start to figure out/notice that it’s always white people doing black face, red face, yellow face, etc. Never (or least rarely if ever) do we see a person of color (whatever color it may be) painting their face to be a white person.

5 Likes

Actually, a lot of asian cultures see lighter skin as a beauty standard. Lots of skin lightening products, and people who go to great and sometimes dangerous lengths to lighten their skin.

To your point, it’s not a racist thing, but more of a western beauty ideal. But it is a classist thing, as with lighter skin, you aren’t seen as a day laborer working in the sun all day.

be that as it may…there is a difference between coloring your skin based on fashion, lifestyle, aesthetics (is what you describe any different than people who purposefully go tanning?) and then coloring your skin for costume purposes. Those may be frowned upon or disliked…but they are not motivated by racism.

hey @Akimbo_NOT

3 Likes

Previously: The last 99 people who did blackface in public got fired, suspended, called out online, or otherwise told it was bad.

This guy: “When I do it, everybody is going to love it. They’ll understand that it’s a funny joke.”

Result: The last 100 people who did blackface in public got fired, suspended, called out online, or otherwise told it was bad.

22 Likes

With AI, Microsoft technology, the future is up to you, you can do it. With AI. The future will blow your mind

Pretty sure that even Tay, Microsoft’s racially biased AI chatbot, could have told him this was a bad idea.

Also, he’s a very terrible rapper.

4 Likes

Also, one half of Run the Jewels…

run-the-jewels-thanks-good-night

I think that’s what he’s saying, that there are white guys who rap, so white people can dress like them (and don’t suck like Vanilla Ice or whoever).

12 Likes

and it’s bad when it happens.

That is a movie, not real life. Please do not create a false equivalency.

2 Likes

Is the entertainment industry exempt?

It depends on the specifics involved with what they are doing with the narrative and message around the act. Movies are NOT real life…do not make a false equivalency between them.

One being ok does not make the other ok, nor does one being wrong make the other wrong too.

3 Likes