Teacher suspended after Halloween blackface rap

There is no difference, they are both wrong IMHO.

Well…that is great for you. But you alone do not get to decide that for everyone.

Don’t forget a Canadian prime minister!

4 Likes

FFS, this shouldn’t need reposting:

15 Likes

I’m pretty sure the key difference is “black people performing in whiteface isn’t part of a century-long tradition of racist caricature made at the expense of an oppressed and vulnerable minority.”

12 Likes

Real talk; the Waynans were punching up in White Chicks, and they employed plenty of actual White actresses in that film.

13 Likes

I’m surprised that nobody has picked up on the fact that, of all the other rappers in the world, he chose to imitate Common. The teacher knew exactly what he was doing. Not just “blackface” but also going for one of the most “woke” rappers out there.

Eddie Murphy as Mr. White!

ETA: Obviously (I hope), not trying to suggest anything about blackface. But this is pretty funny.

6 Likes

That’s a great skit. He was satirising blackface and John Howard Griffin. (It’s in the title of the skit.)

Black Like Me did have some positive effects since:

1. It confirmed black people weren’t making up the daily prejudice and struggles that were dismissed as mythical by white people. And;

2. It showed how many white people would only believe in the existence of certain kinds of prejudice against black people if it was witnessed and confirmed by a white man.

Mixed success, overall. It really would have been better if people had just believed the people complaining in the first place.

6 Likes

Still hard to believe L Michaels is a raging republican.

1 Like

Um, I think the point of the quoted statement was that you don’t have to don blackface to rap.
I didn’t read it as tacit approval of blackface if you happened to be white, and want to rap. The example of Eminem as someone who does a good job rapping without changing his skin color…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.