Which of these charming gents is Virginia governor Ralph Northam?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/which-of-these-charming-gents.html

9 Likes

Whiteness is a hell of a drug isn’t it?

45 Likes

I hope he resigns.

23 Likes

I believe that headline should read “Which of these men is Ralph Northam, the Ex-Governor of Virginia”?

32 Likes

He’s a Dem, so for once all our right-wing trolls will agree with us that he has to go instead of bending themselves into pretzels to make excuses for him.

56 Likes

Unless he changes parties.

23 Likes

7 Likes

I’m just gobsmacked at the republicans demanding him to resign. Just the hypocrisy… is mind blowing.

15 Likes

You think that’s some trick photography? I dunno for 1984 that would take some effort.

2 Likes

This also begs the question “what kind of editor would even allow a picture this offensive to be included in the final yearbook?”

45 Likes

It’s been almost a full week since the last statewide official got found out for donning blackface – last week, the Republican SoS in FL resigned almost immediately after that came out.

9 Likes

“There are more old drunks than there are old doctors” is used in this George/Willie duet, so at least he has some taste.

5 Likes

Quite breath-taking, isn’t it? From the Washington Post:

Jack Wilson, chairman of the Republican Party of Virginia said that if Northam had dressed in either blackface or a KKK robe, he should step down.

“Racism has no place in Virginia,” Wilson said in a statement. “These pictures are wholly inappropriate. If Governor Northam appeared in blackface or dressed in a KKK robe, he should resign immediately.”

“Racism has no place in Virginia.” Yeah, right. He must be talking about a different Virginia than the one I know.

40 Likes

Good ol’ boys will be good ol’ boys.

5 Likes

You know what? I’m glad they’re saying that now. Not only because they’re right in this case, but because the next time one of their guys gets caught doing this (probably before the end of the week) we can use their own words against them.

27 Likes

Has that ever worked?

39 Likes

At least it wasn’t a MAGA hat. /s

8 Likes

One of the comments:

As a Republican, I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

:joy:

ETA: Another:

That guy will do anything to appeal to Republican voters.

18 Likes

It’s nice to know that as divided as this country is along party lines, Democrats and Republicans can be brought together by their candidates’ inexplicable love of blackface.

11 Likes

Now hold on, soon to be ex-Gov. Northam has released a statement saying that he’s very sorry. I know I feel better and I think he’s suffered enough. /s

11 Likes