Florida's Secretary of State resigns after discovery of blackface photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/24/floridas-secretary-of-state.html

8 Likes

How do people so damn stupid rise to such high office?

43 Likes

Side… Controversies? So he’s already mired in a main controversy? Glad he stepped down, may he never step up again in life.

30 Likes

In before all the bullshit excuses for bad behavior and desperate cries of “But that doesn’t necessarily make him a racist!” from all the self-appointed devil’s advocates.

45 Likes

And because it’s Florida, it’s not enough for him to be a racist dumbass, he has to be a racist dumbass who was given the Martin Luther King Jr award for registering voters. From the linked article:

Ertel has a long record of expanding voting rights and registering people to vote. The city of Longwood gave him a Martin Luther King Jr. award for registering voters. In 2012, Ertel spoke out against Scott’s purge of so-called non-citizens from the voter rolls, saying many of those who were purged were actually eligible voters.

What the fuck Florida?

20 Likes

This Florida gentleman is not worthy of dirtying the reputation of the governor who said, on multiple occasions during the campaign against a Black opponent, “Let’s not monkey this up.”

15 Likes

I would be completely unsurprised if he won the MLK Jr. award for registering a whole lot of rural white folks.

11 Likes

It’s certainly been National Fame Week for entitled white douchebags of all ages, hasn’t it? Not to mention a busy time for their apologists, one of whom is probably writing up a comment for this thread at this very moment.

14 Likes

Obligatory for @Mindysan33:

21 Likes

That sounds about right. Florida logic. smh

@Melz2

You beat me to it. I was about to @ her to cue up the gif.

7 Likes

Haaaaaaaave you met Don?

(edit rather than making a new post)

“Coming soon to Fox! The new hit series, ‘How I Fucked Your Country’ It will follow Don, as he meanders through a tale that will take him nine years to tell, a shit ton of unresolved side-plots – “Covfefe!” – and in the final episode Don will reveal that ‘it’s all because you elected me!’ We aren’t even worried about telling you that in advance. We know you’ll watch it all the way to the end since it is such a shitshow! WE DARE YOU TO LOOK AWAY!”

31 Likes

Normally I try not to judge people based on Halloween costumes because the whole point is to go a bit crazy and have fun in ways that aren’t always 100% acceptable in your daily life, but this one is just too much. Even if it he somehow didn’t realize it was racist, it is such bad judgement that I wouldn’t want him representing anybody.

3 Likes

why do all of these Gomer Pyle-looking trogs love blackface so much?

7 Likes

You gotta be shittin me!

8 Likes

If they weren’t always looking down on other people, they might actually have to look at themselves?

6 Likes

Don’t underestimate the bubble people live in. They just have no clue. They work very hard to prevent the corrupting influences of society from reaching their children.

2 Likes

Even if racism somehow poofed out of existence magically you’d still have a guy making fun of his own fellow citizens dying horribly in a natural disaster. So… yeah fuck him.

54 Likes

tumblr_m040suCQ0D1rpglhvo1_400

20 Likes

How nice for you.

Obligatory Amber Ruffin:

Racist%20Everyday

­

46 Likes

He’s only one MAGA hat selfie away from landing a job in the Trump White House.

7 Likes