Florida governor DeSantis revokes Hyatt Regency Miami hotel's liquor license for hosting "A Drag Queen Christmas"

Originally published at: Florida governor DeSantis revokes Hyatt Regency Miami hotel's liquor license for hosting "A Drag Queen Christmas" | Boing Boing

21 Likes

What a commie rat bastard. There used to be a time when Republicans always sided with faceless corporations in whatever they did. Now they are trying to appropriate private industry for their own needs.

Of course one sees news story after news story about conservative institutions, politicians and clergy abusing children, but never one about drag queens.

Republicans gladly vote to starve kids, make it easy for them to be shot, enable their abuse, deny them access to medical care, attack their education and force them into labor and throw them into concentration camps. But we are supposed to pretend they are concerned for their well being? Nope.

63 Likes

So now, without the liquor license, they can have even more kids at the next one, absolutely no reason for a 21 and over restriction.

Turn their actions and fears against them.

54 Likes

Maybe all the hotels should put DeSantis on a “do not stay list.”

36 Likes

He’s going to have to use Air BnB for his adulterous affairs!

14 Likes

The hotel can’t afford to lose its liquor licence, so it will blame the company that manages the venue, end the management contract and get its liquor licence restored.

Amir Blattner, the general manager for Hyatt Regency Miami, told Insider that the hotel’s liquor license was still in effect and said that the hotel was reviewing the complaint. A third-party operator manages the Knight Center’s programming and ticketing while the hotel provides food and beverages concessions, Blattner said.

16 Likes

My boyfriend and I wrote off Florida as a potential business/leisure travel destination a while ago, but it’s really telling that a couple of queer Canadians feel safer going to, I dunno, Cambodia than we do going to Tampa.

48 Likes

He’s picking a fight with big dogs now. The Pritzker family owns the Hyatt chain and nobody in America wins elections without people like them on their side. Good luck with that, Ron.

48 Likes

Any thoughts I had of buying a place down there in retirement have been put to rest.

32 Likes

Or - he knows who they are and that they generally support Dems and is targeting the businesses of people who do.

40 Likes

Ah, good point. Looks like they donate pretty exclusively to Democrats, which is rare for rich people. Usually they play both sides.

Edit: Updated link above for a more comprehensive search. Some Rs in there if you include the whole family, but still 90% D.

29 Likes

The richest trans person in the world is a Pritzker- but I think she leans more conservative than her family. Though that’s anyone’s guess with the low profile she keeps.

25 Likes

That explains the one Pritzker I used to be acquainted with. He was very lefty and I always assumed he was the black sheep given the wealth he came from (he didn’t like to talk about it so we never pried). Turns out the whole family are pretty stand up folks.

26 Likes

And of course we’ll be hearing more soon about another one, also kinda lefty.

(I think he will run.)

28 Likes

That’s a lot of people.

32 Likes

You’d think libertarians would be all over DeSantis for infringing on the rights of the hotel to do what they want on their own property.

Not holding my breath waiting for that to happen, though.

32 Likes

"What next? Something worse?! " is dismal rhetoric. It’s like pointing out conservative hypocrisy: you think you’ve got them but they have in fact got you , because it shows that you took what they said in good faith, that you accept their frame of reference, that you will always triangulate with imaginary referees (“moderates,” perhaps) who you think pick who “wins,”

I find that calling a fascist a fascist usually cuts through that BS, especially in cases like this where a classic fascist tactic is deployed. The zentrum has lost the middle ground there as long as we remind them of historical facts.

“That’s libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” - Kim Stanley Robinson

Capital-L Libertarians have seen fascists as their natural allies and guard labour from the beginning.

29 Likes

Nah, “libertarians” these days are just fascists with a slight sense of shame.

15 Likes

nnnnnnoonan

45 Likes

Watching this and thinking about the promise to use the takeover of the Disney governing district to regulate content of upcoming Disney content. I have to think they will try. Seems like a “let them fight” thing, but I think we need to very much hope MoRon loses, badly.

20 Likes