Desantis to block $35M in funding to a Florida sports team over their commitment to gun safety

Originally published at: Desantis to block $35M in funding to a Florida sports team over their commitment to gun safety | Boing Boing

11 Likes

OK on the one hand I’m usually against taxpayer money being used to buy lavish facilities for privately owned for-profit professional sports teams but seriously what the fuck, you bigoted child-murder-championing ghoul??

62 Likes

The Villages is having quite the BBQ tonight.

Fuck that guy. (In the non-Biblical sense.)

17 Likes

It’s the fascist way: ruthlessly punish those who oppose the party line, reward those who support it with sweetheart deals. Putin would be proud of Desantis.

56 Likes

Isn’t it past time for the pro-business Republicans to smack down the culture-war Republicans and make them sit in a corner for a while :thinking:

35 Likes

Predicting a DeSantis - Trump ticket for '24.

12 Likes

Which Trump would accept the Veep spot?

19 Likes

Does it matter? If trump is VP he’ll play golf 100% of the time anyway.

14 Likes

In Florida, $50K and some words gets you nothing.

11 Likes

Stop it – the concept makes me nauseated. :face_vomiting:

12 Likes

50K won’t buy you a two-floor elevator pitch with desantis

15 Likes

Man, he is pissing off big business left and right.

How many red hats is he going to have to sell to make up for the loss of corporate donations? Even people he hasn’t pissed off is going to see that contributions don’t guarantee results.

20 Likes

Agreed. The 2024 race is going to be a shit show and DeSantis will be part of it.

Trump? Who knows?

14 Likes

I read that as “…for the loss of corrupt donations” and then realized that it made a lot more sense that way.

15 Likes

Evidently, DeSantis got 45% of the vote in Hillsborough County (home to Tampa) in 2018, when he won the state by a razer-thin margin.

14 Likes

Boy, the Florida government sounds more and more like the Mafia with each passing year.

25 Likes

pretty sure it [Tallahassee] has always been in the hands of organized crime syndicate.
look no further than MoRon’s predecessor, skeletor scott, the medicare fraudster.

19 Likes

MLB, why not move out of the spring training facilities located in Florida for the Grapefruit League?

Similarly NCAA, please pull the first and second round games for the 2023 Division I Men’s basketball tournament from Orlando (and the Final Four from Houston, while you’re at it) for their assaults on the rights of some of your athletes, like you did in 2017 due to North Carolina’s “bathroom bill”.

24 Likes

Fascists and gangsters have a lot in common.

22 Likes

Even though we have recently escaped a national petty dictator, that doesn’t mean each state can’t have it’s own.

That’s just where we are in the US now. We can’t make fun of incompetent governments like Greece or Italy or Argentina or (insert country here), because we are at least as bad. I’m not sure how it ends, but it looks like it’s going to have to get at least a little bit worse before it gets better.

17 Likes