Racist cow name sparks backlash at Wisconsin State Fair

Stick your nonpology where the sun don’t shine, assholes.

10 Likes

2 Likes

The film that is based on that bombing run also has the racist name in it, and any attempt to remove it will get the Daily Heil writing an article about how disrespectful it is to change the name of the dog.

7 Likes

Yes, that’s Operation Chastise, better known as the Dambusters raid- famous because it was a big propaganda victory for the allies at that point in the war, and because a rather famous film was made about it.

Unfortunately, the racist name for the dog played a part in the story of the mission- they used the dog’s name as a codeword for “mission success”, radioed back to base, which means it’s in the film as well. As you can imagine, this causes issues with the film.

EDIT- @the_borderer got there before me, and posted the story while I was typing.

8 Likes

Pretty nuts no one pointed this out between entering the cow into the fair and the fair goer noticing it. It is an older slur, but still, come on.

1 Like

When I was a kid (like, less than 12), people — including, regretfully, me — used what I later found out was a slur against the Roma people. I don’t know how I came to know it. It wasn’t used in a context where it was easy to connect to racist etymology. My friends of colour (non-Roma) used the same term in the same sort of situations. When I found out the term’s origins — as a younger adult, as I recall — I stopped using it. If I had been called on using it, I would have immediately apologized and also stopped using it.

I guess what I’m saying is that I find it plausible that one could go quite a long time not knowing a term’s racist meaning, and I don’t know what else there is to do than to acknowledge the problem, apologize, and take immediate steps to correct the issue and not repeat it. Which is what it seems this family has done.

4 Likes

You’re allowed to know what the word is. There are easy ways to find out what it is. There’s just no good that comes from using it here.

I’m pretty sure I know the term you’re talking about in regard to the Roma: a verb signifying one has been ripped off. That’s very different from a proper noun that’s only been used to demean a racial group.

12 Likes

That’s about as likely as inadvertently saying “Kodak” without knowing its meaning. Its an equally nonsense word unlikely to even be spoke when intentionally string together nonsense sounds.

1 Like

You sound disappointed.

7 Likes

Then why be a dick and bring it up?

9 Likes

No, comrade; it’s wanting to say a racist word that no one who is decent uses anymore which makes you a racist.

FTFY; Y/W

13 Likes

True. Racists probably tired of it because it contained more than two syllables.

7 Likes

It’s a fairly archaic term. I know it mostly from the movie School Daze, if you really want to know.

But I wouldn’t worry too much about accidentally using it.

5 Likes

Just Google it. I didn’t know that word but a 60 second search of “racial slur for Black people starts with J” turned it up. TIL. Without making other people uncomfortable

8 Likes

True. You probably will only get to say it once. No worries.

5 Likes

J’s vs W’s; I remember that dance scene well - I think I even posted it here once to make a point.

Oh, I seriously doubt that there was anything ‘accidental’ about the usage…

10 Likes

Ran across that one reading an old Nancy Drew out loud to a 5 year old. I caught it and edited my speech to “cheated.”
When the chapter was done I discussed the word with my listener, explained why it is bad to use, and then committed absolute sacrilege by writing in the book that this was a racist word and don’t use it.

Edited to add instead of a new comment:

Yeah. That is not a word one would just stumble across out of a racist context.

7 Likes

I have made this mistake before. A popular yet highly inappropriate comedy series I enjoy had a ring tone jingle as a recurring joke and it contained a word which I didn’t know. It was a catchy little jingle and my partner and I would sing it to each other and laugh about the episode. Later I sang the jingle in front of a friend and was quickly corrected, thankfully I hadn’t ignorantly upset anyone. I am absolutely skeptical of someone claiming ignorance in something like this, but it does happen.

According to the internets the word is offensive in several languages including English, but in other languages it is used in a prideful manner (reminds me of the time I gave a :+1: to a street vendor in Mexico :woozy_face:).

And what does that mean? Same as a middle finger in the US?

1 Like

Feel free to DM me, because that sounds like BS.

5 Likes