Rage Against the Machine bassist apologizes for Limp Bizkit

[Read the post]

1 Like

While itā€™s good that somebody has apologized, it really ought to be the members of LB themselves.

8 Likes

Pssh. Both bands have a lot to apologize for, but itā€™s pretty cute that the bassist of Occupy Funk (brought to you by the Sony Corporation) thinks someone else is an appropriator and a sellout.

3 Likes

I always hated LB. I also remain somewhat ashamed that later I discovered a single song of theirs that I still really like - to this day. I wonā€™t reveal the track to avoid parsing and argumentā€¦ But it is good.

Also, Jesus, I just watched the decade+ old video for the first time ever. Like many videos, it really works hard to ruin a song.

1 Like

I still donā€™t understand how Fred Durstā€™s directorial debut won an award at the TriBeCa Film Festival

I have a similar situation with Oasis. I hate them. Really hate them. But I really like Wonderwall. The heart wants what the heart wants.

9 Likes

Ideological purity is more important than accomplishing absolutely anything.

10 Likes

Confession time:
In 1997 (I think?) I saw Limp Bizkit open for an opening band (Powerman5000) who, in turn, opened for that actual act- Primus.

What can I say? It was of a time and place.
I regret nothing.

10 Likes

I tried listening to my Bad Religion and RATM CDs a few months ago. I came to a realization: this was horrible music for edgy children.

2 Likes

Rock nā€™ roll died a long time ago, folks.

2 Likes

Great Band Name!

Once you hear this Limp Bizkit cover of Wonderwall, it may ruin the song forever for you, so Iā€™ll take this as doing you a favor. :wink:

6 Likes

I saw Limp Bizkit at a music festival back in 2000 (I had to go look it up, because itā€™s bugging me - it was Live105ā€™s BFD festival - the full lineup is about halfway down this page). Iā€™m ashamed to admit that LB was one of the bands that I was interested in seeing, at the time, though not really one of the main ones. As an angsty late-teen/early-20-something, their brand of awful music spoke to me at the time. I donā€™t remember their performance at all, though. The only thing I remember from that festival was Stone Temple Pilots being a remarkably awesome live band, and Fred Durst actually commenting when he came out ā€œFuck, how the hell are we supposed to follow THAT?ā€ (or something along those lines, at any rate) as they were playing right after them.

I remember reading an interview with Limp Bisquickā€™s guitarist Wes Borland where he was talking about all the music he was listening to (a pretty eclectic mix of Bulgarian folk music, Tom Waits, the Residents, etc.) and how this stuff was going to influence the next Limp Bisquick album. ā€œYeah, rightā€ I said to myself. Iā€™m pretty sure that was the album where he left over ā€œcreative differences.ā€

1 Like

The type of person who has the heart/curiosity/perseverance to contribute to actual social change would still discover themselves and get there without MTV bands. I suspect Rage Against The Machine had a lot more to do with selling a lot of hemp bracelets and hacky sacks. (Although really I agree with your general sentiment, and I think Iā€™m just being a grumpy asshole, sorry. The Clash is my Favorite Band (accused by Crass of ā€˜selling outā€™, who was much more ideologically pure and intellectual, and got through to far fewer people). But adult cynical me no longer believes pop music contributes substantially to LASTING social changes, at least not in ways comparable to other experiences. Working at a back-breaking subsistence wage job for several years, spending time in and out of jail, and struggling with addiction inspired much more social awareness/consciousness in me than a lifetime of punk records, and Iā€™ve listened to about 99.9% of em, the good ones at least.)

2 Likes

The video for Wonderwall is far better, and Oasis is far less shameful than this LB song speaking to me at a certain time/place/era. (If you donā€™t know the LB song, try just listening and donā€™t watch the videoā€¦ For my dignity.)

1 Like

I assume youā€™re using the ā€œif anyone has ever heard of you, youā€™re a selloutā€ definition of ā€œsellout.ā€

3 Likes

Iā€™m kind of baffled when people over 20 claim to be ā€œashamedā€ of liking music. Itā€™s not a fashion statement, itā€™s something you listen to. Like it, or donā€™t like it, either oneā€™s fine, but youā€™re not in high school anymore and you donā€™t need to nervously judge all your tastes against what you think your friends would think.

7 Likes

I havenā€™t seen it, but maybe itā€™s actually good?

I have to say the plot description sounds intriguing.

Also of note:

Budget $5 million
Box office $15,078

Ouch!

If you think rockā€™nā€™roll is defined strictly by the sounds and personalities of the decade or two when you liked it, then you never actually liked rockā€™nā€™roll in the first place. Rockā€™nā€™roll is bigger than your nostalgia.

5 Likes