Random mansion generator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/random-mansion-generator.html

6 Likes

Hopefully it has a Winchester House mode.

14 Likes

McMansion fail! Not a single nub on the roof. :frowning:

14 Likes

I’m unimpressed by the stair placement. Circular stairs are uncommon, and rarely placed in separate stairwells. Conventional stairs, are rarely placed in the middle of rooms. And there are too many stairs overall, and too few corridors.

2 Likes

Yeah there’s some logic being used to generate the homes that could use improvement or allow people to select the logic to generate homes would be interesting. Still i think its a neat thing if you want something quickly.

1 Like

Pfft, this is architectural lorem ipsum at best. [waves cigarette holder in snooty dismissal]

The similar work described in Stiny and Mitchell’s 1978 paper is much more architecturally serious, and that was before procedurally-generated environments were even a thing (since the concept partly originated from that paper).

3 Likes
6 Likes

As much as I love making maps, indoor and outdoor, it can get tedious and time consuming.

1 Like

Now it needs to be modded to add a hallway grid, then print out room cards. Super Clue!

3 Likes

“Bob, are you ready for your 2pm meeting with the Riche family to discuss that custom mansion you designed for them?”

“Damn. I forgot all about the project! I’ll just click on this website and generate a random plan!”

8 Likes

honestly, these look 10x better than most real McMansions.

5 Likes

And that’s how we get:

6 Likes

Ah, now, also build in rules from something like A Timeless Way of Building and we might be on to something. Perhaps set up a behavioral, Monte-Carlo-esq simulation of a family living there for a year or two, measuring the annoyance or convenience of little design points, just to brush up the details…

2 Likes

Architectural Lorem Ipsum is the name of my new band.

Wait, on second thought, no. It isn’t.

2 Likes

I thought this was the purpose of tech companies in general.

Alongside the procgen cities thing this goes right into the DM toolkit.

I already have too much stuff. Now I need a bigger place to file away all these floor plans.

1 Like

In middle school shop class, we had a project to design, then build a model of our future homes. The instructions were to scale base on what education we planned to attain (college, what’s that? says blue collar kid). Of course I blew right past that into full-on indoor pool and arcade. I only half finished the model. I can’t really decide if I learned anything…

3 Likes

You can use this for when you want to skip building a place for your Sims to live and get right to torturing them.

2 Likes

When I was a kid I wanted to live in a mansion with a dinosaur museum in it. While there was a lot to complain about in the most recent “Jurassic World” movie, the mansion was surprisingly like what I was thinking of as a kid (well, before the real living dinosaurs and the people screwed it up).

1 Like