Rapidly spreading virus outbreak in Colorado leads to 40 school closures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/21/rapidly-spreading-virus-outbre.html

2 Likes

back%20away

25 Likes

Have to wonder if this is due to an enterovirus. A little late for VA, but not sure what the timing in CO is like. The linked announcement doesn’t identify the offending microbe, and the spread is pretty aggressive for EV. It’s a nerdy thing, but I would be interested in knowing what bugs are brewing out there.

20 Likes

I normally start in India…but Colorado seems legit.

4 Likes

Awwwwwwwwesome. One of our managers said he needed to work from home today because:

5 of 7 in the house are dealing with some form of mutant Ebola like virus. Fortunately, I am not one of them. I’ll be working from home and taking care of the afflicted.

I sent him the article saying I hope that’s not what’s going on, and he replied:

Funny, I saw that earlier and it is exactly what it sounds like.

We are about 5 hours from Grand Junction, in Colorado Springs. Ugh.

19 Likes

Okay, so seeing this at in my peripheral vision I thought it was an attribution for the story rather than the image, and I misread “Pixabay” as “Playboy”. And I had just enough time to think, “Sure, why not? Teen Vogue is the best place for political analysis, Playboy can be our source for medical information.” before I clued in.

8 Likes

And so it begins

1 Like

Fever, vomiting, and extremely rapid incubation, spread among a population usually kept close together indoors, sounds like a norovirus.

7 Likes

2 Likes

You want zombies? Because this is how you get zombies!

4 Likes

Your manager needs to contact the local Department of Health or similar to let them know it might be more widespread than they already know.

10 Likes

Are they sure it’s a virus, and not those cherry-flavored electric smoke pencils all the kids are sucking on now?

Deer mice learned to drive from lab escapees from U of Richmond VA. Looking for Fruit Loops, they unwittingly spread Hanta Virus.

The Apocalypse is nigh…

1 Like

Plague and mad elk disease (CWD) are also endemic in Colorado. The only things more widespread are the dipshits visiting from Texas.

tossing half the frames is a simple way to get it under 4MB

the stand

5 Likes

Unconfirmed, but speculating norovirus. Sounds like a particularly wicked strain!

8 Likes

The turkey special served in the cafeteria was extra special?

Seriously though, norovirus is no fun. Worst couple of days of my life that I spent mostly on the floor of my bathroom. It taught me to keep electrolyte packets in my first aid case because that was the only thing that helped me get through it.

5 Likes

We do NOT emulate ‘Trashcan Man.’

The one with “Captain Trips” is NOT the timeline we want to be in…

5 Likes

Thankfully the reported symptoms don’t match up with the descriptions of Captain Trips which was much more like the common flu.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t wish norovirus even to my worst enemies.