Rare “Cyclops goat” born in Assam, India

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/23/rare-cyclops-goat-born-i.html

More signs of the apocalypse. All because Trampy put his hands on that damn orb and swore his soul to Satan!

8 Likes

I can understand how the eye cavities may fuse or may not separate but am gobsmacked that a single eyeball develops.

Makes Polythemus seem a tad less entirely mythical.

2 Likes

8 Likes

(Insert ‘why not both’ gif.)

4 Likes

The incidence is about 1 in 16000 live animal births, and 1 in 200 miscarried fetuses. It’s not all that rare.

Usually, humans and animals born with this condition don’t survive beyond a few hours to maybe days, because of severe brain abnormalities, obstructed breathing (no functional nose), etc.

This goat is less than two weeks old as of now, making it the longest surviving animal of any kind with cyclopia, ever.

4 Likes

Someone with Photoshop skills needs to get on this meme.

Apparently the goat is being seen as sacred (see this earlier video).

I guess it’s time to mention the inspiration behind my handle: a little book called “Toxic Sludge Is Good For You.”

1 Like

Anyone know whether the eye is actually functional? I read a little about cyclopia but it didn’t mention that anywhere.

This goat is not even two weeks old, and it is the oldest animal with cyclopia in recorded history. There’s not exactly a lot of data on the subject.

2 Likes

It sees all. It knows all.

It knows you asked that.

It thanks you for your concern, and out of kindness will do all it can to assure that you are among the first consumed by the Wakened Gods of the Dark Regions.

8 Likes

Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath fthagn!

4 Likes

Hey! …Satan would never stoop that low.

1 Like

Previously on bOINGbOING:

Daddy Daddy Daddy Daddy Cumshot

1 Like

:scream:

(+1 more character)

1 Like

Rare. Thank goodness!

Writer and performance artist Brian Catling would love this.

1 Like

How many XP is it worth?

2 Likes

There is a theory that the Cyclops myth was inspired by skeletons/fossil remains of dwarf elephants. Dwarf elephants populated the Mediterranean islands (Cyprus, Malta, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia, the Cyclades Islands, the Dodecanese Islands) during the Pleistocene. They were a lot smaller than an African elephant. So if you’d find a skull1) and aren’t a zoologist, you would be puzzled. And if you’d think it could be the skull of something vaguely humanoid, you’d be heading down the wrong path, fast. Human skulls have the eye sockets in the front, above the nose holes. Elephant skulls have the eye sockets on the sides (easily not recognized for what they are), and big nose holes higher up than the eye sockets, relatively close together. In other words, if you expect to look at something vaguely human, an Elephant’s skull can look like something without a nose, but one big eye. Like I said, that’s one theory.

1) A lot of skulls do not look the way you might think they “should” look like. As an example, do a web search for skulls of pugs. If you don’t know what it is, you’d never guess it’s a dog.

2 Likes
1 Like