Rashida Tlaib endorses Bernie Sanders

This is important, and something I think a lot of people on the left and the right alike are missing. We’ve seen with the Tea Party what happens when you refuse to compromise: paralysis and, eventually, irrelevance. I hope the leftists will be wiser about this, and not jump at AOC or Tlaib or anyone else, screaming about betrayal and “corporate Democrats” when they, inevitably, make compromises.

1 Like

Okay, then find something easy for them to compromise on.

Like September 22nd should be National Chicken And Waffles Day or some shit like that.

Other than that, give them hell on everything else.

4 Likes

Hey, Ammo Bernie Sanders would take the South & West.

1 Like

That only works if you already have majority agreement on every issue you care about. In that case you could send a cardboard cutout to Congress. What the salary is for is the hard work of hashing out agreements with people with whom you disagree.

I would argue that I do.

Although in some cases there are lobbyists paying congresspeople and senators to obstruct, or there are those who want to obstruct just to be cussed. I’m looking at you, Mitch McConnell. I don’t think it’s the job of elected officials to be walked like a dog down the street by those who have no interest in negotiation or compromise, especially when human rights are on the line.

I would say there’s “majority agreement” that children shouldn’t be kidnapped from their families and kept in cages, that we need some kind of common sense gun regulation, that nobody should be discriminated on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, or sexual orientation, that we need clean water and affordable healthcare and living wages for our workers, right? I would also say that these basic human rights are under attack, and I need our elected officials to fight back, not “compromise”.

6 Likes

Just ask Chief Justice Garland…

9 Likes

There needs to be a base line for democratic practices to work. Some things can not and must not be compromised or negotiated away. Full stop. Anyone advocated for curtailing the rights of their fellow human beings are not to be compromised with. Rights are not to be traded away. If they are, our democracy has no meaning.

9 Likes
6 Likes

You beat me to it; that’s a prime example.

5 Likes

Remember the context of this subthread, though; @etpol01 wants to argue that Ayanna Pressley’s compromises make her unacceptable. Me, I think that Pressley is a person of good character who is not compromising on the kind of basic human rights issues you raise.

The problem for any politician is deciding what goes into the area between “desirable” and “unacceptable”, and horsetrading on that; if they want to be effective they don’t have the luxury that you and I do of deciding that there are only trivialities between those lines.

1 Like

Strawmanning

2 Likes

So – I can’t reconcile your post with your quotes – you do find Pressley acceptable? Fine, in that case my argument was never about you, just about the reality that politicians can’t be both effective and ideologically uncompromising. That is Alinsky 101.

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.